Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Our 30 year old condo building was wired for Bell FTTH last year but I never considered switching from DSL (Fibe 25/10) because the fibre had to be run to a phone jack in the bedroom and my PVR, Apple TV, etc. are all in the living room on the other side of the apartment.

Long story short, I decided to take the plunge this week and go for FTTH (double the speed for pretty much the same price). I ordered the upgrade online but what I didn't realize is that this apparently forces you onto VoIP through the HH3000 for phone service. At least that's what the installer told me. Along with, "Oh, didn't they tell you that when you ordered...?"

That was yesterday morning and the phone service has dropped at least three times since then. The last time it happened, Bell support reset the connection, had me reset the modem, and swore it wouldn't happen again. We'll see :rolleyes:...

Anyway, I was wondering why I couldn't keep the POTS and just have fibre for TV and internet. I assume they got rid of the DSL signal on the phone line anyway, so why not leave intact with just voice on it? I realize that probably isn't true POTS either, but it was sure more reliable than what I have now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I suspect once a customer is removed from the copper pair that supports POTS, that BELL wouldn't entertain going back to it. I'm sure BELL doesn't want to maintain two separate systems (copper and Fiber), and so will do their best to remove everyone from copper.

elyk

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
^^^^
I expect they plan to abandon the copper cables. It costs money to maintain it.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'm guessing it will take about 20 years for Bell to get everyone of of POTS without some serious incentives, especially with older people.

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
There are still lots of people who have only POTS available, no FTTN and many without DSL as an option. One incentive is to wire neighborhoods so it's even an option. As far as home phone is concerned, Bell will have to give it away in 20 years. Everyone will be on cellphone or with more reasonably priced VoIP providers. There are lots of free VoIP options as well.

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
That can also be explained by a combination of lifestyle, income, employment, residence, health... Demographics by age is ageist in nature. It ignores other factors. Assuming a causal relationship where none has been proven is prejudicial in nature.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Percentage of Americans with no Landline Phones (by Age)
That's about wired phone vs cell phone, not fibre vs copper. Copper pairs can no longer keep up with the bandwidth demands. Even now, in many areas where a customer has a copper pair coming in, it converts to fibre somewhere nearby.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
That can also be explained by a combination of lifestyle, income, employment, residence, health... Demographics by age is ageist in nature. It ignores other factors. Assuming a causal relationship where none has been proven is prejudicial in nature.
Okay, a combination of senior citizens' "lifestyle, income, employment, residence, health..." will make it harder to get them off POTS. How's that?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The switch to Ooma has saved me $400 in one year.
I'm thinking since I was forced onto VoIP anyway, I might as well save some money by getting rid of my $66.00/mo. phone bill. I'm sure there's lots of discussion about that elsewhere in the forums.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bell support reset the connection, had me reset the modem, and swore it wouldn't happen again. We'll see :rolleyes:...
Well, FWIW, the phone service has been stable ever since, so I guess the support guy knew what he was doing :)

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
My VoIP phone from Rogers costs $24.99 + tax. That includes caller ID and free long distance in Canada.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do they charge the same for the VOIP phone?
Yes, which is another good reason to dump them for phone. Of course, then I lose the bundling discounts.

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
Cable and phone companies want to cut costs by abandoning POTS but still want to charge POTS prices. I've seen a few offers where they cut their fibre or cable home phone plans to a reasonable price for a few months but prices should be that low on an ongoing basis. Bundling helps but better prices on every service are usually available from third party providers. By ripping people off on home phone, they are losing customers for every service.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts