Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an email from FS with a 3-day sale where the Telus HD PVR is listed with a 100 off for the ridiculous price of 49.99.

The 200 bucks deal I got for the pair (PVR+HD box) 31 days ago doesn't look that sweet now... :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got the same email. Teh $49 price includes the $50 programming credit for new customers - which means it is $99 at checkout. Still a good deal, but Best Buy and Future Shop have both had the PVR for $99 in recent weeks.

-Peter

·
Registered
187 Posts
I looked at FS and BB today and it was $199 at both. Do you have to be an existing customer to get the offers you guys are referring to? I am a Shaw customer who will probably be switching to TELUS in April. The first time I called TELUS they told me if I bought my own box they would give me a $50 bill credit. The second time I called in to order the service he told me that the $50 bill credit doesn't apply if I'm signing up for the $15 Optik promo for 6 months. Is that true? The first rep offered me both the $15 + the $50 bill credit for purchasing my own box.

Second question, are the any risks associated with purchasing a PVR box off craigslist? There are a few BNIB units for around $150 which is a $75 savings when you consider the HST the store would charge me. Do I need to call TELUS to verify the serial number is clean? Anything else I should know before going down this path?

·
Registered
980 Posts
pretty safe to buy the box on craigs, the risk you take is used hardware that could fail. Telus doesnt care about the serial number, they dont even really care where the box came from, they dont even really track their inventory. They will give you a reg code, you enter it and then they get all the info from the box to their network. Its not like one could steal the box and use it for personal use, unless they sub to optik tv themselves..

·
Registered
187 Posts
^Thanks! What is the warranty that comes with these boxes? And is the warranty linked to the serial of the box? Or do I need a receipt?

·
Super Moderator
16,865 Posts
You should still check with Telus when buying a STB privately. If they sell you a rental unit, you won't be able to use it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@seaners:
The $99 Telus PVR deals were during the Bestbuy/Futureshop weekend online only sales. You can sign up for their respective email lists and find out about the next sale.

·
Registered
187 Posts
omgbbq said:
The $99 Telus PVR deals were during the Best Buy/Futureshop weekend online only sales. You can sign up for their respective email lists and find out about the next sale.
Thanks for the tip. I called TELUS today and they told me that those $99 deals come up every 1-2 months, so to watch for it. I think what I'm going to do is order my TELUS service for April 22nd. Between now and then I will watch the prices. If they don't go on sale, I'll buy it on the 21st at $199 from Best Buy or Future Shop. They both offer 30 day price guarantees, so if it goes down I can go back to get a partial refund. So that means that they'd have to go on sale between now and May 20th. There's probably a good chance of that, right?

Also I told this agent about the conflicting answers I was getting on the $50 bill credit. She called her "win back" department and they confirmed that the $50 bill credit is available in conjunction with the $15/$15 deal if I purchase my own hardware.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I signed up for Optik, my PVR at bestbuy was on backorder. The Telus CSR signed me up, and booked me in for an install 2 weeks later. She said they would provide a PVR free of charge until my PVR arrived. And then I would ship the PVR back to them -- postage already paid.

Turns out, my PVR arrived from bestbuy before my install, so I didn't need to take them up on that offer.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great, the PVR on Future Shop and Best Buy's websites increased by $50 to $249.99. I was holding out for a decrease, not an increase. What are the chances that it will come back down in the next month or two? Are these sorts of increases normal?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
249 was the regular price for the PVR (149 for the HD box) until a while ago.

I'm pretty sure they will come out with some sort of sale soon. As someone suggested, sign up for their email list, but also talk to someone at the store because the price I paid (199 for the pair) wasn't advertised in any emails I received (at least I didn't see it).

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey guys, i'm new here. just about to purchase a telus pvr for myself and noticed they were on sale again at best buy for 149.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the pvr is on sale right now at best buy for 150. picked one up, and gonna have my optik set up next friday. looking forward to checking it out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Future shop sale on Optik HD receiver

Hi,

Received this in a E mail today. 3 Day sale

Regular Price: $149.99
Discount -$50.00
Sale Price $99.99
Sale Ends:May 1, 2011

Get $50 programming credits for new customers with this receiver!*

Cheers

Pain

·
Super Moderator
16,865 Posts
@seaners, Future shop links aren't allowed. If you search for Optik, you'll see:
"Telus Optik TV 320GB HD PVR Receiver (CIS430)" for $149.99
"Telus Optik HD Box (CIS330)" for $99.99.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Best Buy often has 2-3 day online sales that include the PVR at $99. I got mine that way in Feb 2011 and I've seen at least 2 more times they were on sale for that price.

Still includes the $50 credit too!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't get it. I called telus, to schedule an appt to install a second box.

$50 install fee, that's fine. $150 for the box from telus, but if i buy it from FS, for $99 this weekend, I get a $50 programming credit? Thats what the Telus guy i talked to told me.

Why would I buy it from Telus?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts