Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks;

In the new year, we are moving out of Toronto to Markham. We will be renting a house up there.

Was at a friends house the other day watching tv. I was floored by the HD quality. Found out he was with.....Shaw Direct!!!

Anyways, started surfing the forums here, and wow. I mean the Ontario package is amazing. first question, anyone have a high res of that flyer, or know where I can view one online? Did a basic google search, but couldn't find it.

The equipment is dirt cheap, I will be looking at 1 HD PVR, 2 HD boxes, and possibly 1 standard box. I will be cutting back on the boxes that I have now with Rogers when I switch over.

My second question, is there a limit to the amount of boxes you can have on one dish? I think i read 6 on here. Will it cause any signal loss? (Much like you see with Rogers!)

I have just had enough of broken recordings, bad HD signal, stuttering audio, video drop outs, boxes with IPG's that look older than me, and a general lack of any useful stuff from Rogers. Their lack to fix anything, support their products, and BS customer service.

Not to mention, the prices I saw with this Ontario offer is AMAZING in comparison.

Thanks Guys

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
I've seen the HD PQ on SD and Rogers many times and there is very little if any difference, unless there's something wrong with the setup of the devices or the TV. As for issues with the STBs, I strongly suggest that you read through the 630 owners thread (and other STBs) before you think that all is rosy at SD. Each provider has advantages and disadvantages. I'm not saying don't switch, I'm simply saying go in with both eyes open, especially if you have Rogers equipment already.

Also, there are several features like ROD, TMN-OD, TV Call Display, bundling that are not available on SD, so if you use those.... You can also call retentions at Rogers to see what kind of deal they'll give you to stay and you can always leave...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Also, there are several features like ROD, TMN-OD, TV Call Display, bundling that are not available on SD, so if you use those.... You can also call retentions at Rogers to see what kind of deal they'll give you to stay and you can always leave...
Actually call display is available by simply plugging in a phone line into the back of a Shaw Direct receiver. However, it is unfortunate that Shaw Direct does not offer on demand services which can be somewhat substituted using a PVR.:D

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hey folks;

My second question, is there a limit to the amount of boxes you can have on one dish? I think i read 6 on here. Will it cause any signal loss? (Much like you see with Rogers!)
If properly installed there is no technically induced limit on the amount of Tuners. Signal strength / Picture Quality can be maintained, and is done so on commercial installations in apartment buildings, condos, etc., with lots of Boxes. (It's better to talk tuners than Recievers as PVRs have 2 tuners and each tuner requires an input.)

But contracturally with SD you can only have 6 PVRs (or non PVR Recievers => or any combination totalling 6) on any one account. So unless you want a second account you max out with 12 inputs. This configuration is cost effective with 2 powered multiswitches (4X8 or 5X8) allowing for 16 outputs to the various Tuners.

Your proposed configuration of "1 HD PVR, 2 HD boxes, and possibly 1 standard box" totals only 5 inputs which a single multiswitch can provide (leaving one spare). If you drop the "possibly 1 standard box" then you can wired them direct to the 4 outputs on the LNB at the Dish with no multiswitch required.

I hope this is helpful. ;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info guys! Very much appreciated.

57, you make some very good points. My problem with Rogers is their attitude. Since I have everything bundled with them, I feel they think I won't leave, or other customers in the same situation.

You are correct about PQ being identical in most instances, but not in mine. I have been battling with Rogers, and the office of the pres. for years. It just gets to the point that enough is enough.

That being said, I may give them a chance at the new home. The condo building I am in has complaints from everywhere. The senior field techs they sent here have reported constant problems back up the chain of bosses. Nothing has been fixed. Unless you count throwing discount after discount at my bill. Sounds great, but when you thousands in a home theatre system, at some point, you just want it to look and sound the way it should. (I went 45 gigs over my cap for internet one month, they waived it because my recordings on my pvr were so bad in quality, I downloaded them!)

As for STB issues, both have them. Personally, Cisco has gotten in over their head in relation to the pvr boxes. Both Shaw and Rogers need their suppliers to dump the code and start from scratch, but that is a whole other thread.

I dislike ROD, find it a rip off, and for movies, I watch all blu ray when I can. Mind you, I do use TMN. I enjoy the HBO programming. That would be the one and only on demand I would miss. However, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I assumed they had TMN OD, THANK YOU for pointing out they don't!!!

The other option I was looking at, was doing a whole home set-up, involving capture, saving to my central puter, and streaming via Oppo and other cheaper media streaming devices. This option I still may do for all the digital media. My wife frequently uses it in the bedroom with a cheapo media box I bought. She really loves it. However, the personal time, equipment costs, and cabling costs could quickly become expensive. It would be fun to do though. :D

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I was with Rogers for almost six years before dumping them and switching (back) to Shaw Direct (I was a Starchoice subscriber from 2002-2004).

I had no real technical issues with cable. My biggest issue was cost: for what I was receiving with Rogers I have the same package with Shaw Direct for almost $20 a month less. That's not chump change.

Technically the Ontario Value Package ("OVP") is only available through "door-to-door" sales but a carefully crafted e-mail to "Ask Jim" will get a call-back from a CSR who'll sign you up.

Check out the OVP thread for more details.

As far as HD picture quality goes, I found Rogers to be a little less than Shaw Direct. But then I also use OTA and neither service is as good as that.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
viper359 The issues that you had at your (old) condo, should not follow you to the new location. I remember your thread now. Good luck with your move and whatever provider you choose.

seanwrestledude Thanks for the TV Call Display correction.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
The condo building I am in has complaints from everywhere.
In condos and apartments, the problem might be due to building owned cable, which Rogers can't do anything about, so you can't judge from one location. I'm in a condo and service here is excellent. When my condo was built, Maclean Hunter was the local provider. While I don't know who owns the cable, there are individual conduits running to all the units, so it'd be a simple matter to pull out & replace the cables, should it be necessary. I have 3 HD sets & one VCR (which hasn't been used to record in almost 2 years), along with cable modem and home phone connected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts