Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I live in Red Deer and have recently been upgraded from a 15Mb profile to a 25Mb profile with 25Mb internet.

The download speed seems fine at 24.00Mb/s consistanly but my upload speed goes up to about 2.40Mb/s and instantly drops back to 1.67Mb/s and slowly climbs back to around 2.10Mb/s and looks really gittery bouncing from 2.00Mb/s to 2.20Mb/s.

The installer told me I sould be getting up to 3.0Mb/s upload speed with all TVs off but I am not getting much past 2Mb/s. Then there is the consistant drop from 2.40Mb/s to about 1.67Mb/s that happens on speedtest.net no matter what server I test the speed to. This does not seem normal to me.

I called Telus already and was told that they checked the profile and everything looked ok at first and to reset the router. Well I did. Same result. Waited again. I was told they made some adjustments this time. Reset again and still no chnage. Wait again. Made more adjustments but still no change. The call took forever and it seemed like I was talking to some guy in India who was relaying the info to someone at Telus. Terrible system.

I logged in to my actiontec modem and found the following under xDSL Status. Does anything look out of whack? Is the Power Upstream ok at -10.1 dBm? Shouldn't it be possitive?

Broadband Negotiated Mode: VDSL2 - 8B
Downstream Speed: 31494 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 3071 Kbps
SNR Downstream : 9 dB
SNR Upstream : 9 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 0 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 0 dB
Power Downstream 4.4 dBm
Power Upstream -10.1 dBm
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 1

Thanks for any help in advance.

Knight.

·
Registered
241 Posts
0dbm is 1mW, a negative dbm number just means that the transmit power is below 1mW. The modem and port set their power numbers automatically. They want to run with as low power as possible to minimize crosstalk on other pairs.

The upload tests are normal, the needle always seems to bounce around on the 25 meg profile. I thought it was supposed to have an upload of 2.5, but the website last I checked says it's 1, same as the other plans.

-Telus Tech

1 - 2 of 2 Posts