Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I presently have a Bell phone, Internet, and Sat all bundled in the one bill format

Do I have to unbundle the phone to port the Bell phone number over ?

Thanks in advance

Dave

·
Registered
180 Posts
Depends what kind of "bundle" you have. If it's a reduced price bundle with a contract on everything you may not be able to cancel any of it without huge penalties until your contract is up. If it's just a regular bundle with just the $5 rebate per extra service then when you get your phone ported out they'll just drop your phone service from your bundle, along with the $5 rebate you were getting from it.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The question is, are you cancelling the Bell phone? Porting the number away from Bell would more than likely trigger a cancellation of your Bell line. Also don't you have to give them 30 days notice?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok but you didn't answer my question. What is your plan for the bell line? If you port the number away from bell to another provider the bell phone becomes useless. You dont typically port numbers unless you are planning on cancelling the service. I suppose you could ask Bell to assign another number to that line and then your bundle would be still in play I would think.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think a dry loop can be considered part of the bundle so I would think with the phone being dropped out that you will have to re-bundle your services with them.

The new company handles the port so in theory you contact your new provider and they contact Bell on your behalf to initiate the port. You might want to be proactive and contact Bell ahead of time to let them know what is going on if not, I'm sure they will contact you about it.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Port Failed / Cancelled

What the heck, can anyone explain this?

Dear customer,

Unfortunately the rate center for this number is not supported by our network. We will need to cancel this porting request and will refund the porting fee.

Thank you for your understanding.

the number was 780-571-xxxx

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello j0dest3r:

That means that we currently can not currently port in numbers from the ratecenter: Spruce Grove. We keep adding ratecenters to our porting coverage constantly but at this time it is not portable to us.

You can check what are the ratecenters we can port by logging in to your customer portal, enter the menu option DID numbers -> DID portability, and then click on the "Check availability" link in the line that reads "Local Canada" porting, so you can verify ahead of submitting any port request.

Thank you, I hope this clears up some of your questions.

Regards

Peter Sahui
[email protected]

·
Registered
877 Posts
It looks like it's Bell West, Telus, and Shaw in your rate centre which unfortunately means there are likely very very few VoIP providers who will be able to serve you. If there were one that could, it would likely be because they have a PRI from Telus, which is not a cheap endavour.

You could get a number in one of these rate centres, and it looks like they would be a local call from Spruce Grove: http://www.localcallingguide.com/lca_exch.php?dir=2&exch=002770 .

m.

·
Registered
6 Posts
dave12345,

I am in a similar situation to you, I have all my services (phone, TV, Internet, Cell) with Bell (for years, no contract) and I submitted a port request April 30th for my landline #. As posted in the port thread, you submit your port request with VOIP MS before ever calling Bell. This request should result in an automatic dry loop for DSL based on what I read. Time will tell. My FOC date is May 6th. I may call 310-SURF to try and get my account noted so I don't ever loose my DSL as a result of this number port. I expect that my other services would still receive the same bundle discounts. Again time will tell.

I will update once my transaction is completed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Porting Number to VOIP - HELP!!

Hi,
I am trying to port a number from Eastlink but getting the run around.. my VOip provider is asking for a CLEC or carrier of my number.. What are they asking for and does anyone know?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Your VOiP provider will need to know your current provider, phone number, account number and possibly a copy of your most recent bill.

This information requirement is true for all ports.

·
Registered
121 Posts
No Babytel the VOIP provider said Eastlink is not the CLEC.. i look on CRTC it says Bragg communications. So i resubmitted as that.. still no reply.. Eastlink has said that Babytel needs to have an agreement with them in order to port. is that true?

·
Registered
877 Posts
What Eastlink told you is not true. Typically a VoIP provider such as BabyTel would contract with a CLEC such as Distributel or ISP Telecom, and the CLECs do the work of porting a number. It would be impractical for every small VoIP provider to have an agreement with every CLEC in Canada!

I have never used BabyTel, but if they can't figure out how to port your number, that does not bode well for a relationship with them.

FTR, The Bragg Group is the parent company of EastLink.

m.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
To echo Mango, if BabyTel can't figure it out, then I would consider looking to another provider.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree, they are having problems getting the CLEC and eastlink is not really telling me any different.. Any one have any other providers that will port a halifax number?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts