Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should one wait for a porting of one's number before contacting voip.ms to find out what's taking so long?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
hagbard, have you checked out the status in the customer portal?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not sure it helps hagbard but my number was ported from Rogers just last week and it took almost 30 days. I was close to calling in about my port but decided to hold off until after 30 days from the submission.

My earlier issue of one-way-audio popped up on the issue tracker on voip.ms' portal. So I guess I had my hardware set right; something was wrong with the premium routing provider. All is well there now.

Like Mikey0124 I also have the issue with callers hearing a button tone when calling on the value routing. I'll have to check my settings and see if they are as Mango suggested.

Thanks again for all the help here.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Mine took about 7 days from Vonage.

I believe I checked in the customer portal under support for updates

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the end, it took three weeks from Cogeco to voip.ms. Was a bit disappointed to find out that my monthly charge isn't the .99c it was for my first line but $1.99 (and my usage is half a cent more as well). Every other town around here is at .99c, but my town isn't even offered so I guess that's why.

Its kind of a drag since this line will be used 90% of the time. When I inquired about the porting, that was never mentioned. Just be aware when you port a number to find out what the monthly fee will be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same question. I submitted port order on Feb 20, the status changed to "processing" on Feb 21. According to my communication with their LNP department, the porting should be efficient. I will have my fingers crossed. BTW, my current carrier is Bell Canada.

·
Registered
30 Posts
tentative FOC date

I am currently porting my number to voip.ms, and the FOC date is 2/28. But there's a line in the details like this:

Please note that for Canadian Numbers, this date is usually a "Tentative Date" set by our Canadian carrier.
I am wondering does that mean my number may NOT be ported on 2/28? How likely will it be and normally how many days will be delayed? I am porting away from Bell if that matters.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nice to know that. Yes I placed my port order on 2/21, exactly one week before the FOC date. Hope mine will go smoothly too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
porting numbers

I submitted my request to port on Feb. 14. I followed up a couple of days ago and was told it would be another 3 weeks before the porting process begins... there doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern.

·
Registered
37 Posts
porting to voip.ms

I submitted my request to port 12 days ago and I was just advised by voip.ms it will take another 3 weeks before the new CLEC even sends out the request to port!

The blame usually falls on the losing carrier for dragging its feet, but there doesn't seem to be any consistency as to how long it takes the new CLEC to act. Maybe it's just a question of whose desk it falls on.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Esc, who is your current provider?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The number I am porting is currently just parked with a service that is holding the number until I find a new provider. They will respond to a request to transfer within 24 hrs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How to contact Bell after port?

Successfully ported to voip.ms, on time! :)

I heard that I need to contact Bell Canada to confirm service cancellation with them. How to call them actually? What number, department and what I need to say? I would be glad if they won't charge me penalty for "not giving them 30 days notice" as I read somewhere, though I don't have any contract with them. Please share your experience, thanks a lot!!

Nice to know that. Yes I placed my port order on 2/21, exactly one week before the FOC date. Hope mine will go smoothly too.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
When I ported my number from Bell almost 2 years ago, I called them to confirm that they had received it. They confirmed they had my order and their dates matched those from VOIP.MS. I believe that by law, they are not allowed to contact you to counter offer to stay back. Something about landlines being a regulated service...

When I got my final bill, they did charge me some deactivation fee for calling features I had. It wasn't much, but left me an even more sour taste in my mouth. I was so glad to leave Bell, that I wasn't going to fight it. So, if you want to save that fee, put in a request to end any additional features on your line about a month before requesting the port, but don't deactivate your line! Otherwise, you could loose your number if your line is deactivated before the port has been completed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you for your reply, wysiwyg. Did you call Bell AFTER the port? I have done the port so now I would like to clear anything between me and Bell to avoid any afterward headaches.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts