1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
It won't be a problem. It's a really good game - like the first one. Just finished it over the weekend.

-Mike

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume the PC version would be the same as the Xbox or PS3 version.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Not to mention the original Portal is very, very cheap now.

I would not play the second without playing the first.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Portal 1 was included in Steam's "Half-Life - The Orange Box". Should be able to find a PC version available in the discount bin somewhere. I'll echo the sentiment that you should play it before Portal 2. I finished the Single Player campaign last week on my 360. Hopefully will find some people to try the co-op version.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Fantastic game. Playing the game would be no problem without playing the first one, but you'll appreciate the excellent humour more if you play the first game.

I'd buy Portal 1 first if you can find it cheaply. If you like the first Portal you'll like the second and vice versa. It's pretty much the same game but bigger and more complex (and that's a good thing).

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
You got the FP perspective correct, but aside from that you are very wrong.

It is mainly a first person black comedy physics puzzler platformer. With security bots.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Best game I ever played!! Single player has a very engaging story and the co-op is a blast to play with a friend. The puzzles are mind boggling and its a blast flyin through the air. PC version for me, but will probably pick up the xbox release once it drops in price in a few months. Going to be playing Portal 2 Co-op shortly with a friend. :D

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up Portal (the original) for $10 and installed. Going to play on the Weekend.

Thanks for the feedback and I am looking forward to it and hopefully Portal 2 as well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I played the first version last year. I bought the PS3 version when it came out. Still playing with the second version, I don't play it all day long. I'm told by others that I'm about half-way through the single player part of the game.

If you buy the PS3 version of Portal 2, you also get a license to install it on your PC (once the Playstation Network goes back online).

For those that haven't played this game, I also recommend that you play the first version before playing the second version. When you get stuck, you can go to YouTube to get help.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I'll have to try this game out, then. When I used to see the gameplay videos, it just looked a little too quick and complicated. But Portal 1 always was a top reviewed game.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
There is plenty of opportunity to sit and think no bad guys trying to get you etc. If you buy Portal2 for PC on Steam, I think it comes with a bonus copy of Portal1. At lest it did when you pre-purchase the game so that may have changed now. You need only a moderate video card to get smooth graphics as the game engine is now a few years old. It still looks really good though.

I don't think it is necessary to play the first before the second, but if you do the experience will last longer. ;-) I'm trying not to finish it too quickly, the guy I'm playing co-op with finished the single player game in about 7hrs straight with only one break. :eek:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Playing Portal 1 enhances your experience with Portal 2 since you may better understand some of the underlying story concepts. However don't let the difficulty of some of the puzzles in Portal 1 deter you from Portal 2. While the puzzles are definitely challenging in Portal 2, there are no puzzles that require the quick timing and exact portal placement that some of the puzzles in the first game had.

The co-op is an awesome addition to the game, be sure you have a friend that you can play with. It is hilarious when you accidentally shoot a portal and forget that it was key to helping your buddy and suddenly they die. :) Hopefully they aren't easily offended.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
5.1 from Portal2 /HL2

I was able to get 5.1 on this game working but I had to use Analog outputs on an old Sound Blaster card I had kicking around. I had a newer Auzen Studio 5.1 with optical out but the game wouldn't work with that. DVDs and Blu-rays work but the game didn't. I'm assuming that is because the game doesn't seem to support DD or DTS. I had originally tried the HDMI output on the video card going to the TV and then from the TV to the receiver via optical. 5.1 this works with the Xbox 360 but it didn't from the PC. (Apparently this particular rear projection TV does the DD pass-through from HDMI to
Toslink wheras most TVs do not support this)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just about finished Portal with my son so we picked up Portal 2 for the PS3 on the weekend. It was a bit more expensive but it gives us access to the PC and Mac versions too.

Looking forward to playing this week

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
My daughter bought Portal 2 for her laptop - she loved it, she laughed at it's antics, loved the soundtrack and did not regret the purchase at all.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Coop is fantastic!

I have a couple of questions about the PS3 version.

1. Are you able to activate the PC version being the state of PSN ATM. I would assume so since part is up. There was some protest threads in the Valve forums.

2. How's the co-op console v.s. PC?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts