Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are hardly ever home with enough time to watch our recorded programs. We spend almost every weekend out camping in the warmer months and would like to take the PVR with us to watch the recorded programs on those rainy days. Will it play back through our trailer's entertainment system without being connected to the Telus landline?

The Telus sales rep suggested connecting an external hard drive to the PVR and play it back through the computer but looking through other threads here, it doesn't look like that will work.

My last option would be to record the programs on my seperate DVR and take that with us. I would have to figure out how to connect it into my Telus Optik so that the timer function would work.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
16,872 Posts
The Telus PVR MUST be connected to the Telus head-end to operate. Mediaroom checks with the head-end before playing each program.

An external hard drive won't work.

A separate recorder will work, although you probably won't get HD. You can also play back the program from the Telus PVR and record it to your recorder using any of your STBs. That way you can choose which programs you want to take with you after they've been broadcast.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would love to see if they could put some kinda offline mode so at lest you still could watch what you have recorded early. I myself live in older part of the city, So as soon as the internet drops.. Poof no more tv. There
has been more then a few times this has happened to me..
Only maybe hour early I taped Ice Road truckers and I was not home. When I get home, browse to my view recording. Press play on my show.. Then I get blank black screen, then I see/notice that my net is down too. Grrr

I love Telus tv but this one thing I don't like much :(

Its' really annoying that PVR needs to have net on in-order to play something you recorder early..They need to fix this..

I don't think other PVR do that do they? for Sat/Cable?

·
Super Moderator
16,872 Posts
@CentaurChester, Obviously if there's a problem with the line you won't be able to record a program, whether it's cable or IPTV. Normally playing a recording shouldn't be a problem. If you are having frequent line drops, you should follow up with Telus to get it fixed.

I've used Shaw cable and the PVR must be connected to the head-end when it boots up. However, if the cable service goes out and the power stays on for the PVR, then you can still play your recordings until the PVR loses power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts