Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a prepaid plan with Rogers and given that I have only a few cents left, I want to change to a Bell plan.
I phoned the customer service and they told me I can do it at a Bell store.
I went to a Bell store and they told me that you cannot port a number from prepaid to prepaid, only to a 3 years contract.

Now, if this is true, not only it is stupid given that Bell will not get a new customer but it is also a way of doing marketing that is stone age era, it seems to be back to the 60s.

Please, tell me this is not true.

Thank you folks,

Alex

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
of course you can, those reps do not have a clue what their doing i wouldn't waste my time with clueless reps, and instead give it to the stores who know what theyre doing/talking about.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paolo,

I went to a Bell Store, I will try another one but it is unbelievable :eek:
I usually do things online but apparently this is not feasible either.

Are you aware of Rogers charging anything to leave their service?

Thanks

Ciao
Alex

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I know he went to a bell store, what I want is him to go to ANOTHER bell store, where the reps will actually Work for their commission and port you in. If they toy around with you, there is no sense in giving them your business, take it to another store.

Rogers won't charge you anything, you said your pay and talk right? you would only be subject to fees if you are monthly and in a contract, cus porting is the same as cancelling.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, just back from the Bell store.
The portability is possible and it will cost me 75.00 C$ + taxes, basically:

SIM: 5.00 C$
Activation: 20.00 C$
Portability: 50.00 C$

Now, when they tested my phone to see whether a Bell SIM card did work or not, the phone did not react, no signal, so I could not proceed with the portability.

My phone is unlocked and it is a Nokia 5800, there should not be any issue at all with any card, so two are the possible reasons, in my opinion:

1) Bell does not accept my phone because not part of their selling range.

2) Is that possible that Rogers locked my phone from the moment I got their SIM card??

I am more prone to think point 2, because any modern phone should be able to work with any carrier.

Ideas?

Thanks
Alex

PS: In order to see whether my phone was locked or not, I just put in my European SIM, it works fine, so there must be something with Bell then.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Which version of the 5800 do you have? If it's the European version then it probably doesn't include the HSPA 850/1900 frequency that Bell requires. Unlike Rogers, Bell doesn't operate a 2G GSM network.

Unfortunately, even with modern networks it's not as simple as just changing SIM cards.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

I bought the phone on a Canadian website, but the package came from Hong Kong, the network I see is GSM and UMTS, do I have a way to check whether it is HSPA 850/1900 ??
Actually, the specs of my order show: 3G: HSDPA 900 / 2100, is this the problem?

Thanks
Alex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts