Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my scenario, looking for some advice:

- Have a RHP (primary) line with a 416 number (call this 416-a)
- Have an Ident-a-call 416 number as well (call this 416-b)

- Want to port the 416-a number to a VoIP provider for business, and move the 416-b number to become my primary RHP line

- Called Rogers and asked about moving the 416-b number to become a true 2nd line - was told this cannot be done as the 416-b number is already 'assigned' (to ident-a-call service)

I don't want to lose either 416 number (as Rogers is only assigning 647 or 289 numbers to new accounts)

I figure my best bet at this point is to add a 2nd line to the account (647 or 289), and then initiate the port for BOTH the 416-a and 416-b numbers. During the port I will request that the service NOT be cancelled, but a new number be assigned.

Once the dust settles, I'd then port the 416-b number BACK to my RHP service, ideally requesting it to replace my primary line.

The problem with all of this is the likelihood of losing the 416-b number AND possibly even my RHP service.

My real questions are:

1) Can you port a number IN to RHP and replace an existing, assigned number - or can inbound ports only be for new lines/service

2) Can I port my primary number AWAY from RHP but still maintain my service if I still have a 2nd line? Will that 2nd line become the primary number?

It's a convoluted situation, but really comes down to being tied to both 416-a and 416-b and not wanting to lose either, or have any extended RHP service disruption.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
why not just sign up for a cellphone number, possibly pay and talk or pay as u go and ask for a 416 then port it in.

pay as u go does nto cost any money except for the sim card, which everyone has a spare one laying around, if not ask your brother or sister or parents for a spare one they not using, and port that number in to your home phone, then ask to port out your existing number, give it a try, idunno if it will work, but it might

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Can't you just switch your identi-call to a second line? Then you port out the original number.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts