Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
First off of I dispointed port 80, 443 & 3389 are blocked by defult on the ISP end for us dynamic Ip users.
There's another way around this that will also help get you ready for the future. I assume that only you and partner will be accessing this home server. One way to accomplish this is with IPv6. You can get IPv6 tunnelling software from gogNET. This software sets up a 6in4 tunnel over IPv4, using IP protocol 41 (or UDP if behind NAT) that connects to a tunnel broker. You'd also set up the same software on any remote computers. You'll want to register the home connection so that you get a static IPv6 address and, if desired, set up a subnet. The remote computers can use an annonymous connection or be registered if desired. If you run a subnet, it can terminate the tunnel on your firewall or any computer behind it. I'd recommend the home server be used. This will also give you access to the growing number of IPv6 sites. That IPv6 software is available for Windows, Linux, Mac etc. Also, if you have your own subnet, you'll be able to access any IPv6 capable computer and not just the server. On my home network this includes several computers running Linux (one also occasionally runs XP) and also my Android smart phone. All of them have public IPv6 addresses. You can use either your host file or a free DNS that supports IPv6 to provide name service for those addresses.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts