Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of Im a IT admin and second I live with a Telus IT network Engineer here in BC,

First off of I dispointed port 80, 443 & 3389 are blocked by defult on the ISP end for us dynamic Ip users.

Well heres my story. I have a windows Home Server 2003

I configured ISS to work with 8080 / 4443 (to get around port blocking) I useing no-ip.com to set up no-ip.org:(port Number here) to acces my server from the out side world I even have ftp setup at 5000

Note : I HAVE NO SOFTWARE FIREWALLS ON. Router is set to NAT for firewall settings.

The issue I having ever since I lost my 2700HG-E is that I can no longer get PortForwording to work at all.. evne though I have it setup.

My biggest issue is that Telus OEM Modems/Router Combos have garbage Firmware.. Anything with telus writen on it is garbage when it comes to firmware...

Im unable to figure out how to (replaces the garbage firmware with a stander one suppled by the Manfacture.

well here my issue in images it be easyer to follow..

my website setup with the right ports.

my Firewall settings
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/4968/capturezc.jpg[img]

my outcome is
[IMG]http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/2874/capturegu.jpg

no my http://maddoggyca.no-ip.org:808 https://maddoggyca.no-ip.org:4443
or my ftp://maddoggyca.no-ip.org:5000 DOSE NOT WORK AT ALL. evne though I have portforwording turned on and no software firewall installed/oh

DMZ dose not work ether whe nI put my server outside...

all ports kick back as blocked even though there openned..

IM about to toss ever thing that has "OEM Telus writin on it/in it" and replace the entire setup with my DSL-2320B ADSL2/2+ Ethernet/USB Modem and a REAL router very soon... nother that is handy capped but CRAPPY ISP FIRMWARE... (PS I do not use Telus TV)

any help be nice on this one? whats a really decent router that I have no issues configuing port forwording on?

·
Registered
31 Posts
What modem/router are you using right now?

I am not sure how that PFPortChecker program works, but as far as I know, Actiontek v1000h does not support loopback. So if you try using an external ip to reach the server in the same local network, it won't work even if the port was forwarded properly. You have to try from outside of your network (ie: from your friends computer which has a different external ip.) If that PFPortChecker does the test by connecting from their server, then you can ignore my post, it's not the loopback issue.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Try the Microsoft Port Query Tool and Gui.

It will tell you what ports are blocked from the world looking back at you through TELUS.

Also Shields up from GRC.com can be useful..

I had to use a port forwarding service (mailhop) at DYNDNS to get my mail server SBS 2K8 working on TELUS, but eventually just moved my custom domain mail up to Google.

But I'd still like to have remote back to the latest SBS and WHS 2011.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
First off of I dispointed port 80, 443 & 3389 are blocked by defult on the ISP end for us dynamic Ip users.
There's another way around this that will also help get you ready for the future. I assume that only you and partner will be accessing this home server. One way to accomplish this is with IPv6. You can get IPv6 tunnelling software from gogNET. This software sets up a 6in4 tunnel over IPv4, using IP protocol 41 (or UDP if behind NAT) that connects to a tunnel broker. You'd also set up the same software on any remote computers. You'll want to register the home connection so that you get a static IPv6 address and, if desired, set up a subnet. The remote computers can use an annonymous connection or be registered if desired. If you run a subnet, it can terminate the tunnel on your firewall or any computer behind it. I'd recommend the home server be used. This will also give you access to the growing number of IPv6 sites. That IPv6 software is available for Windows, Linux, Mac etc. Also, if you have your own subnet, you'll be able to access any IPv6 capable computer and not just the server. On my home network this includes several computers running Linux (one also occasionally runs XP) and also my Android smart phone. All of them have public IPv6 addresses. You can use either your host file or a free DNS that supports IPv6 to provide name service for those addresses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts