Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a concession stand for my HT and I'm trying to find a good oil-based popcorn machine. I saw the Nostalgia at Costco, but I'd rather get a table top unit. Anybody has experience with the Elite Maxi-Matic or the Waring Pro? Or has experience with a good counter-top sub-$200 unit (and where to buy online)? Something that makes good popcorn, but also has a nice concession stand look.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
On flea bay, I bought my Chaplin Popper for around the price you want to pay for. It is a tale top, 4 oz kettle. Makes plenty of popcorn for 5 people in one batch.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I bought a machine about 3 years ago from Home Outfitters. We paid about $350 for it, but the build quality was as good as units twice as expensive. Everybody loves our popcorn, but you need to find good supplies. I deal with Popcorn Plus in Edmonton.

Anyway, the machine is on a cart, but it would have been easy enough to do away with that part and just set it on a counter. I know it's a little bit more, but you may avoid shipping charges, duties and what not if you don't buy online.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Check Harlan Fairbanks in Calgary. They sell commercial popcorn machines, and sometimes have used ones, at good prices.

I got one from them a while ago.

·
Registered
360 Posts
London Drugs sells Nostalgic looking Popcorn machines. Even Table top units. I won't post a link though due to the prices being posted along with them.

OMG! Holy smokes! Sitting here talking with my wife about this Popcorn machine in the home theater trend and she just let me know that Regal sells a nostalgic popcorn maker. Model number HG508. Retails for $149.98. AM I allowed to post that price? Not sure. Sorry if I wasn't supposed to 57. By all means edit my post if you have to or send me a message. Maybe there is a bonus to having my wife sell that [email protected]#p. LOL. I think I just may have to invest now.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up buying a Salton Cinema Popper at Walmart until I settle on something better. I'm not a big fan of air popcorn. Although less healthy, I much prefer oil popcorn. That thing make really good popcorn for the price! I'm really impressed. And the kids love to watch the popcorn fly.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Popcorn Trolley

Costco.ca has a nice one but so does bed bath and beyond. Anyone have either one of these units? Bb&b unit is a hundred bucks cheaper plus the wife thinks she can find a 20% off coupon. The model is CCP-510 the one at Costco model number is not listed but has slightly bigger dimensions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Marc ,

I bought a maxi-matic EPM450 from amazon $150.00 very good popper , excellent review and comes with some quality accessories

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have the Nostalgia KPM-508, got it for 20 bucks, and from Costco.

Makes about a serving size per turn.

·
Registered
894 Posts
We have a Waring Pro from Home Outfitters. Took a couple times to get perfect popcorn. The key is to make sure the oil is really hot. We wait atleast 5 minutes before putting in the popcorn. We get the pop corn salt from the someone that works at the local theater so it turns out just like at the movies. :D
Works great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts