Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got telus 2wire internet modem. got there so called high speed.

only one device seems to work at a time. i got my ps3 and my macbook pro. anytime the ps3 is on, my internet basically starts running at slower then dial up speeds.

for example, facebook took 2 minutes to actually load, but it wouldnt load half the images. i opened another browser and all i got was basically a time out.

shut the ps3 off, everything loads quick.

never had this kind of bs with shaw.

btw, my signal is 100% on both devices. i am literally 20ft away from the gateway

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Do a speed test and tell us what it is with oone device.

Telus does have different levels of service.

Shaw cable can be very fast. Basic DSL not as much.
Telus also has been known to have the setup wrong on their end(multiple times) Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Download Speed: 5895 kbps (736.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 858 kbps (107.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have not done anything besides power cycle.

i never seemed to have this issue with shaw. mind you, there internet is generally faster to begin with, so maybe thats a bad comparison?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Try disabling the wireless on the 2wire, and plug a lan port from the 2wire into a lan port on your old router.

·
Super Moderator
16,890 Posts
I'm not sure which 2wire wireless router your'e using, but I would check if both the Mac and the PS3 are on the same frequency.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
went out and bought myself an apple airport xtreme. seems to have fixed the problem, but telus internet seems to slow for its own good to run on more then one machine to begin with.

high speed turbo my ass.

im switching back to shaw in the new year, but im not gonna bother with there wireless. i will just get there regular high speed which is faster then this so called "turbo"

ive had telus for several months now, always been with shaw, but wanted to try them out again. its been 5+ years since i've had telus.

disappointed yet again.

i just hope my call doesn't get routed to a rep in another country.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Download Speed: 5895 kbps (736.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 858 kbps (107.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Turbo is TELUSs marketing name for their 6 meg service. This is a 6meg service, There is nothing wrong with these speeds if you're on a 6 meg profile. If you want faster internet call TELUS and see if you qualify. There are speeds available up to 25 meg.

The 2WIRE is generally a good modem, you may have a bad one. You should have no issues at all with more than one peripheral plugged into the 2WIRE. No way a PC (or a Mac) and a PS3 can't coexsist and fuction properly on a 6 meg profile. If you are having issues that bring down your network when more than one machine is on and connected, call for a service tech, something is wrong. It would be better to know things like, do you have a dedicated jack or did you install the service yourself. Do you have a burgler alarm or an Enterphone type gate controller. All of these things make a huge difference in internet performance on ADSL but don't affect Shaw service since the TV has nothing to do normally with communication (pre Shawphone etc.).

Have TELUS send a tech by and make sure everything is OK.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im sure its on a dedicated line, it was installed by one of telus's contractors. not sure if i want another telus tech in my home. they seem to know next to nothing from my experience.

no alarm
no gate

one thing i do know is that i am a fair distance from the co in the area.

i really dont like phoning telus, i feel like i need to brush up on my arab every time i call them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does anyone know of a number that gets directed to a canadian english speaking call center?

its very frustrating getting sent overseas for a local issue.

think i can just drop there equipment at there tech office???

·
Banned
548 Posts
@ Boss

If you want to have your service repaired you have to call in.

If you want to cancel you have to call in.

I have edited my original comment, and removed my rant.

I still stand by every word, however I can see that it was mostly lost on Boss, and since that was who it was really for there seems no reason to leave it up. It would have been more appropriate as a PM.

Boss if you want your service to work you have to ‘play ball’ and call in. You can’t fix a faulty installation or hardware issues on a forum. TELUS is frustrating to more than a few customers, but the overwhelming majority are satisfied and have no issues. That doesn’t change the fact that you have to call in, because in the end only TELUS can fix it.

I hope this is light enough for you. Happy New Year.

- Another TELUS tech

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lighten up buddy. i was trying to be funny during this ordeal. as its incredibly frustrating dealing with telus.

guess you dont get my humour. too bad.

its the internet, relax.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts