Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't news to anybody, but when it comes to Android I find it even worse. Our selection of Android phones in Canada SUCKS! Aside from the SINGLE Galaxy S variant on Bell and the Nexus One on Videotron we have nada, zip, zero!

Hello carriers! WAKE UP! It seems like we're the only country where the general population only knows about either iPhone or BB. Do the phone companies not care about Android?? We can add Nokia as a forgotten carrier too. Android is the future I tell you!

Where is the EVO? The Samsung Galaxy S Epic (droool)? The DroidX? HTC had it's big event today and they only hinted at the HTC Desire Z coming to North America. Looking at the specs, it seems to be far from a superphone (I need 1GHz or faster please).

We are unfortunately in a system where carrier subsidies are absolutely necessary for any phone to thrive here in Canada.

I'm a Fido client. Good customer service. Good plans/rates. HORRIBLE phones. I'm about ready to punt my iPhone3G and I don't want to commit more money into the iOS universe. If I buy my OWN phone I should be able to choose how I use it, I don't want Apple deciding for me.

Am I alone in my frustration??!?!?

PS. Galaxy S Tab? Hello? Canada? Do we exist?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The Android hysteria is pretty US-centric phenomenon, outside of North America Android still has a long way to go, and as for the future, it's far from Android's, it needs to stand in line for it.
There are a lot of wrongs in the Canadian wireless system, but the carrier subsidies are not "absolutely necessary", or forced. Customers have made their choice, they just can't swallow paying more than $200 for any kind of phone - unlike the rest of the world.
The absence of subsidized (or any) Nokia smartphones in Canada (and in the US, for that matter) is Nokia's problem, mostly due to the neglect that their own OS has suffered until now.
As for the "It's my phone, I want to choose how to use it" philosophy - you are in for unpleasant surprises with a carrier subsidized (therefore carrier customized) Android phone, to fully achieve your ideal you will need to jailbreak (or whatever they call it in Android lingo) it too.

Alright, obviously I don't share your frustration. ;)

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I thought that Virgin was going to be offering the Galaxy Tab?

Anyway, the lack of phone selection is a function (equal ?) of lack of carrier competition and customer apathy. Until one or both of those change, we'll be SOL.

FWIW as a Fido customer I think you can use a Nexus One which can still be purchased from Google since it is now the offficial developer phone. There might be an extra step or two involved.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Unfortunately I believe the dev variant of the Nexus One is the T-Mobile variant. It also requires you to be a registered Android dev and I believe they're out of stock at the moment.

Aside from the SINGLE Galaxy S variant on Bell and the Nexus One on Videotron we have nada, zip, zero!
Where is the EVO? The Samsung Galaxy S Epic (droool)? The DroidX?
The Evo, Epic, and Droid X, not to mention the Droid 2, Fascinate, and Droid Incredible are all CDMA only phones. With Bell, Telus, and even SaskTel and MTS transitioning to primarily UMTS/HSPA, Canada no longer has a large carrier using CDMA and thus phones exclusively on Verizon and Sprint will not appear here.

However, we do have the Vibrant on Bell and soon Virgin, the Captivate coming soon to Rogers, and the HTC Desire on Telus (which by the way none of the Big 4 American carriers have). Telus also carried the Milestone when it was still very high-end Android device. Fido will soon get the Acer Liquid E, it's a mid-range phone but Fido is a value brand. Same goes for Wind and the forthcoming Motorola Milestone XT720.

It's true that we usually wait longer, but that's usually because we're a much smaller market.

The Android hysteria is pretty US-centric phenomenon, outside of North America Android still has a long way to go
Sales in Canada are strong, just look at the shortages of the HTC Desire. IIRC, sales in Europe are also very strong, which is why we see European specific Android phones.

There are a lot of wrongs in the Canadian wireless system, but the carrier subsidies are not "absolutely necessary", or forced. Customers have made their choice, they just can't swallow paying more than $200 for any kind of phone - unlike the rest of the world.
I'd disagree with this statement. My girlfriend just bought a brand new Blackberry, unlocked it, and took it from carrier to carrier looking for a Blackberry Social plan on month to month. While they all offered her a plan, none of them would let her in on back to school promos like double anytime minutes or free unlimited incoming calls unless she was willing to sign a three year contract. Having already paid full price for the phone, she wouldn't get the phone subsidy and thus she would lose the true value of the contract (or the point of buying the phone outright) but the carriers not only use phone subsidies but tailor plans in order to attempt to force you into a contract.

As for the "It's my phone, I want to choose how to use it" philosophy - you are in for unpleasant surprises with a carrier subsidized (therefore carrier customized) Android phone, to fully achieve your ideal you will need to jailbreak (or whatever they call it in Android lingo) it too.
Android phones are like any other phone (aside from iPhones). In order to unlock them all you need is a code which for most handsets is easily obtainable. Installing custom ROMs requires you to "root" your phone, which is the equivalent of jailbreaking, however many apps which would not be allowed on an iPhone are readily available on Android without rooting.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If your interested in a particular phone why not just import an unlocked one?

Its not just android that has a slower adoption rate with canadain carriers this applys to pretty much everything when it comes to tech. Look at dishnet compared to Bell, Shaw and its counter part, on and on. The fact is we are a much smaller market and thus can not support the overhead to have every latest and greatest thing.
If you want the latest buy from the US! Many of us do this for projectors or much of our HT equipment if we want the newest models, so why would it be any different for phones?

As for not having phones, Telus has 6 android phones at the moment. The Desire is an amazing phone, and will have froyo on it very shorty I am sure.

I have a rooted HTC Hero with froyo android 2.2 and it rips! Once you start using an modern android phone you will be amazed at how much more efficient you can do things and how well google has integrated all the features you will use day to day. I LOVE google Voice search and the newest google navigation software.

As for Aurthors comment about "you are in for unpleasant surprises with a carrier subsidized " sure they have SOME carrier added things but so does every Iphone! but thats the great thing with Android, you just take it off and CUSTOMIZE your OS to your hearts content.
The only time you need to root your phone is if you REALLY want the newest android OS that is out but not yet released on your phone. Or if you really like to tinker by adding new kernels or radio files etc. So unlike an Iphone you CAN change your configuration and home screens to you hearts content.
Live wallpaper is pretty wild, not great for battery life but will impress even a hardcore apple fan(perhaps not Aruthor thou).

Want a homescreen just for your car? You got it, Want a home screen for Work, play,gaming ext just set them up! They are as easy if not easier to customize than a windows computer desktop.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I stand corrected on that TorontoCollin. So there are no specific apps added by the Carrier interesting, but I guess that does make send with the closed of app development that was allowed up until the past week.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Aside from the SINGLE Galaxy S variant on Bell and the Nexus One on Videotron we have nada, zip, zero!
Rogers has a few Android models.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Unfortunately I believe the dev variant of the Nexus One is the T-Mobile variant.
Videotron also has a version. While it's still available through carriers, Google stopped selling it directly, only to have to reorder to meet a sudden demand by developers. Hopefully, that will get them to change their mind about selling direct. Or perhaps they can sell through other retailers.

·
Banned
328 Posts
I think Canada will see more and more Android models but so far the selection is okay. I have the HTC Desire from TELUS and it is an amazing phone, light years ahead of my HTC Hero. TELUS also has the Motorola Milestone, new Motorola Charm and HTC Hero. Lower end models include the LG Shine Plus, Motorola Backflip and coming soon the Samsung Galaxy Apollo.

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/smartphones/

·
Registered
55 Posts
"HTC had it's big event today and they only hinted at the HTC Desire Z coming to North America. Looking at the specs, it seems to be far from a superphone (I need 1GHz or faster please)."

This makes me think that you are completely uninformed and drawing conclusions out of nothing. This is a NEW CHIPSET clocked in at 800mhz. It is faster than the 1gz processors. It has a new GPU, full qwerty keyboard. It is a Superphone buddy.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I wonder how many consumers, like me, find the selection or Android phones just too confusing and are driven to another operating system and other manufacturers. IMO, after allowing for the hobbyists who will study every spec of every phone and every capability of every version of every operating system, there are a lot more consumers who just want to know that if they buy this phone it will do what they have seen advertised.

Within weeks, when my current contracts expires, I will be in a position to choose two smart phones (replacing a Blackberry and an LG phone). I'm at near total loss when I go into wireless stores when presented with an array of operating systems and models some of which are available only at a single carrier; store staff are notoriously uninformed and helpless when challenged to objectively compare features between phones and operating systems and it doesn't help when phones come with different versions of the operating systems and there is inconsistency when upgrades are scheduled, if at all dependent upon carrier.

If I want Blackberry, I have to choose between a bunch of models distinguished by difficult to remember numbers and overlapping names; if I decide to go Android, I have to learn about even more manufacturers and models and study operating systems which will probably change before I get back to the store to purchase. If I want Apple, it's easy, all I have to do is choose the colour and price; all iPhones do basically the same things the same way and it doesn't change with the carrier; the OS only changes once per year and I know that happens in the summer (Apple's market dominance and media attention ensure that is pretty common knowledge). How many users have the time or inclination to do all this research to buy a phone?

IMO, we need fewer Android options, not more. Simplicity will drive sales more than new models every month. Sometimes limited selection, simplicity, is best.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Lots of options is the two edged sword of Android. For every person who wants the simplicity of "choose white or black" there is someone else who wants different form factors or other features.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i signed a 3 year contract so i took the time to do my research before going to the store....

If you walk in blind and expect the store to help you then ya i see your confusion.

Personally if your stuck for 3 years with a phone u better get the best. And currently the Telus HTC DESIRE and BELL SAMSUNG GALLAXY S today are the best hardware and latest android OS.... The desire going from 2.1 to 2.2 OS. That is currently the latest and greatest android OS available to anyone...

If you need a keyboard i believe the moto milestone from telus is the best option for full spec phone.

·
Registered
163 Posts
my perspective on this is if I'm going to be locked into a 3 year contract, I am going to get the best phone possible. Now, my current rogers contract isn't over until february, so I can play the waiting game, but I want an android phone that has FM radio, front facing camera for skype, at least 1ghz processor, ideally a large amoled screen, and all of the other bells and whistles. I cannot currently get one to my satisfaction with rogers. I'm in Manitoba so I'm waiting for MTS to switch to the HSPA/gsm network and see what sort of plans they offer, especially data wise. But if rogers offers me the phone I want before then (theoretically the sony erikson x12 will offer me what I desire), even better. But as of now, all of the phones offered are lacking in processor power or features. Especially as compared to the iphone (which really, I'd consider if I could change the freakin battery)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts