Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around for a good portable FLAC player, there are some for sale on the auctions but they are all from overseas. I would like to hear from anyone who has experience with any certain brand. I want one with good specs all across the board, if you can help that would be great. I did find some players called Cowon made in Korea, any comments are appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
810 Posts
There are a few FLAC player apps for iOS - Golden Ear, FLAC Player +, Capriccio, Equalizer Pro.

A 64 GB Touch or 128 GB iPad would give you a reasonable amount of room for files.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
A friend of mine has been using cowon players for years, but for ogg vorbis support. He loves them and the couple times I've fiddled with it its been a nice experience

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Sandisk Sansa Clip line of players support FLAC. I have used both the original Clip and the Clip+ - nice little players.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've owned a Cowon S9 and Z2, I'm currently using the Z2 because I broke the S9 hitting the headphone cord hard enough to break a connection inside which now makes crackling while using it (I need some extra time to open it and try to solder)

For sound both of these blow away my Samsung Galaxy S3 even if using third party apps like Poweramp and Neutron player .

The Z2 does have some issues running an old android based operating system and some have complained about low volume but I find it sounds better than any other options I have tried, I did prefer the sound on my S9 before it broke and I hope to get it running again

Here are some good forums to read up on all the different Cowon models

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/index.php

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Cowon out preforms an Ipod touch for sound in every way, more power to drive bigger headphones , better adjustment (eq and other effects) , and better richer wider sound.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Playing the same ALAC file on an Apple device and on a Cowon the Cowon will still have better sound, it has better DAC chips and higher output wattage and more control settings to tune for the best sound to match your headphones.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why not just convert your FLAC to ALAC, both are lossless and ALAC plays on all modern Apple products.
I know this already, I am trying to find the best player out there. The benefit of support and being able to purchase music that is not in my library is very appealing, so I am looking at all options for now. I think the Cowon is going to be my purchase and I will probably but some music from Pono once it gets going, that is if their library is any good.

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
Why do people use FLAC or ALAC? It does not improve the human perceptible audio quality so I was wondering what other reason there could be?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Audio perception is a strange subject, I've heard songs on FM radio that sounded great then went out and bought the cd played it on the same stereo and it sounded nowhere near as good as i thought it did on FM.

I've also been to the BayBloor Radio phono challenge where a CD and Vinyl copy of Dave Brubeck's Take 5 was played on the exact same stereo switching back and forth mid song between the cd and vinyl version. You could hear the difference, as to which you thought sounded better was up to the individual.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
It does not improve the human perceptible audio quality
I have noticed a difference between CD and MP3/OGG versions of the same song. The differences tend to be subtle, but with one, "A Day In The Life", by the Beatles, the compressed version is missing quite a noticeable amount in the middle.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Its all about individual perception. I can't stand the sound of records. All I hear is pops and hissing over the music.
That being said I really like the sound of old vacuum tube radios over transistor radios. To me the difference is night and day

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hearing difference between compressed MP3's and FLAC does depend on who is comparing and what they are hearing them on, a casual music listener comparing two tracks on a ipod with stock ear buds might not hear a difference . Someone who listens to a lot of music on high quality systems or headphones is more likely to hear a difference.

Some albums I have don't sound very different from MP3s to FLACX because of how they were mixed for the original CD a lot of modern music is compressed in the studio so it sounds the same on radio as it does on CD or on cheap ear buds.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rockbox os on an 80gb ipod clasic, or any of the other listed players. Dual boots easily between rockbox and the stock firmware and rockbox and the boot loader are very easy and safe to install or remove from within linux or windows.
http://www.rockbox.org/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts