Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, how much is a good price for 2 used polk RTiA7 floorstanding speakers?

I know someone who is willing to sell his to me but what is a resonable price?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Item: #AM7772-C
Yes $549.95
each

$1,099.90

Standard Shipping:
Additional shipping options
available during checkout
FREE

The Best Demo Is In Your House.We know the best place to audition audio components is in your home, with your material, with your equipment. Nobody hovering around, pressuring you to buy. No screaming kids or people talking over the music. With Polk's 30-day Sound Satisfaction Guarantee, if you're not totally satisfied, call us up and we'll even pay the return shipping.
Questions?Call our knowledgeable customer service to get answers to your questions.

1-866-764-1801
Hours: 9am - 10:30pm, M-F, ET
Order Total: $1,099.90
As you can see, the MSRP (inflated price) is 1100$ for the pair so in mint condition (like new, no scratches what so ever and in perfect working condition) you shouldn't pay more than about 40%, about 400$ for the pair should be your max (of course depending how old they are).

Cheers!
TK

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! just the answer I was looking for. The guy I was only able to get him down to $500 for the pair. Should i pull the trigger?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Refurb RTi A7 from Polk eBay store sells for 940$ and bid starts at 540$ so if they are mint 500$ might be a fair price, However, try to get them a little lower of maybe he can provide you with some free bees (IE: cables etc...)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He seems like the type of guy to take care. He said he babied everything. Also, he seems like he knows what he likes as he has a nice pioneer av, and a pioneer 5020.

But, he said one of the speakers has a small chip, he is going to send me pics. And yes he said I can audition

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The way to go, while auditioning take the time to look at the cosmetic of the speakers and particularly the chipped area. That can possibly give you some bargaining leverage. If the chip isn't to big and potentially be covered with wood markers?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he said "small" chip but I havent seen the pictures yet. I think I will buy buy them. Unfortunately though they are cherry and all my other stuff is black.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Don't get carried away and check places like Craiglist and Canuck audio Mart to make sure the pricing is right. That could also give you bargain leverage.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Kijji to. In Ottawa usedOttawa has stuff not on the other sites. I imagine there are similar specific sites for other cities to. Lots of gear out there!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive looked at quite a few places. I cannot find anything cheaper than $850+ for a pair (and who knows if they ship to canada (even if they did, doubt it would be free))

From the internet prices ive seen it would seem like $500 is a steal

not to mention, these speakers have nothing but rave reviews. With sites claiming they are the best speaker they have heard in the price category, and even better than many which are MORE expensive!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
As an example, in June 2010 FS had them on sale for 399$ each which is cheaper than what's offered to you and new at that. I would do some serious research if I were you. Also, if you can afford to wait Xmas time should provide with great deals on such...

You should also tour the Club Polk and see what the users have to say about those specific speakers.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/search.php?searchid=16184412

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
futureshop sells then single. So that was most likely 300 each ala 600 right. which is still really good, only 100+ but we also need to factor hst tax on top and electronics displosal tax ect.

When demoing is there anything i should be listening especially for? I have never bought floor standing speakers before.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
When demoing is there anything i should be listening especially for? I have never bought floor standing speakers before.
When demoying used speakers, the first thing you have to do is to physically check the drivers and make sure they move freely (no grinding) and then the rest is up to your ears (mind you poor placement and room while listening can give you a different feeling).

Make sure nothing else but those RTi A7s are played (no sub or other speakers). According to the specs, those A7s should be self sufficient musically (covers the bass satisfactorily) since they go down in the area of 40 hz (typical of vintage stand alone speakers). The remainder is your specific hearing and how please your brain is with the end result of music reproduction of those specific speakers.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/rtia/specs.php

futureshop sells then single. So that was most likely 300 each ala 600 right. which is still really good, only 100+ but we also need to factor hst tax on top and electronics displosal tax ect.
BTW, keep in mind that buying the Polk used you loose the 5 years warranty so if the price of used is too closed from the new market price, well then the deal isn't so good, right?

Cheers!
TK

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good point!

I guess ill see how the speaker is. I am also thinking about buying a receiver and subwoofer from him. Any thing to look for with the receiver?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Look for the brand and model reviews. Age of the receiver... What it offers; HDMIs in (Qt & Rev), pre-outs you name it.

Check this site for reports from owners of that specific brand and model. Without any of this, it is hard to respond....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts