Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just updated my HT picture gallery. Click on the link in my signature to see the entire gallery.

Some of the pics in the gallery are a little blurry, but I really wanted to take them without the flash (and I was too lazy to get my tripod ;). This way, you get a pretty good look at what the room actually feels like.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice setup. What are the room and screen sizes (approximate is fine)? You should link to images that are smaller as this one is cumbersome for a forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well Done!

Very nice work, PokerChip! You've inspired me to take the plunge instead of doing constant research. I really like the built in component rack (beats anything I've seen at the Brick.) Just a couple questions:

1. What are your room dimensions?
2. Where did you get the theatre popcorn maker?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your comments, guys. ScottJ, I have also resized the inline pic I have in this thread. Sorry about that.

Room dimensions are approx. 14' (width) X 17.5' (length).

Screen size is 100" diagonal (16:9) , which translates into 49" X 87" (inside the velvet covered aluminium frame).

Seating distance from eye to screen is about 10.5 feet (which gives a great cinematic experience with good quality material).

Popcorn maker is from Home Outfitters, and it cost a lot less than "pro" or "concession" grade poppers, but looks basicallt the same and makes terrific popcorn!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks. Looks like a great ambiance with the dark ceiling and the soft lighting. I was asking about the room size because it looks like a big screen. Now you got me thinking I could go that big. How are normal DVD movies?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Very nice, clean room. I enjoy seeing other people's rooms. I just wich I could get the kids toys out of mine LOL.

Later
Phil

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks ScottJ,

I find the PS3 to be a very adequate upscaling DVD player. Material from regular DVDs, in my book, looks about as good (depending on the source) as HDTV material, minus the macroblocking, of course ;).

Thanks also to eljay (and good luck) and to PhilD for their comments. I really like getting people's feedback. This is a room that I built on a very realistic budget, and I think a lot of people want to get ideas on what they can achieve without having to drop 50Ks.

I will soon post a detailed list of equipment I currently have in the HT as this may be useful for whomever looks at my pics.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm curious about the component rack. It looks like you drywalled the shelves? If so, how did you mud the inside corners as it looks tight in there? I think you did a back wall too? Do you have an electrical outlet for each shelf? Where do the wires connecting the components run - through the back or down inside the shelf and out the back? How will you change the connecting wires in the future?

I also had a question about the ceiling. Is it black or grey? What is the material on the ceiling?

It looks great!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thx JoeSoap,

the component rack is entirely drywalled, including the back of it, too. If you look at the pictures again, you'll notice a white door just outside the HT room (left of the rack). That door lead to the underneath part of my stairs. All the wires are running to the left of the component rack, underneath the stairs. That area has and will remained unfinished. All the speaker wires, power centre, the connections between components and the approx. 20 ft. cable runs going to my projector all go through there.

On the left hand side of each shelf, I have a grommet kit similar to the ones you'd put on a desk. The wires are simply fed through those (therefore future-proof) and tie wraps ensure they are kept neat and tidy. You hardly notice the cables looking at the rack because not much light reaches that part of the shelves, which are quite a bit deeper than one would need for AV components.

There 2 reasons for that. 1. I wanted to give my fridge a built-in look, so it had to be flush. 2. This ensure plenty of air circulation around the components.

As far as the ceiling, it is drywalled, stippled, sealed and was spary painted with matte black paint (using a sprayer). The same paint was used on the screen wall as well.

Hope this answers your questions!

·
Registered
200 Posts
AMAZING job PokerChip!

I especially love the built-in look of the rack and fridge. I'm planning on doing something similar with mine.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are the specs for my HT, to complement pictures previously posted in this thread.

Specifications

Projector:
Mitsubishi HC5000 1080p

Screen:
Screen Innovations Zen Series 100 inch fixed aluminium, beveled, velvet draped frame (no gain or 1.0)

Receiver / Amp:
Pioneer VSX-917 7.1

Speakers:
Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 1000 front and back L/R
Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 2000 Center Channel
Precision Acoustics 10" active sub

Digital Cable Box:
Motorola 6416 PVR (160GB HD) on Shaw HD

Media Player / Gaming console:
Sony PS3 as Blu-Ray / DVD / CD player
(HDMI / optical audio)

Computer:
Mac Mini with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse
Intel Core Duo 2, 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive
Playback controlled by Harmony remote
(DVI / optical audio)

Remote:
Harmony 1000 with RF extender

Lighting:
Sconces are controlled by Lutron IR remote dimmer (controlled by Harmony 1000)

Sectional:
Natuzzi, microfiber from Sears (warmer than leather for a basement)

Fireplace:
Electric, controlled by Harmony 1000 remote

1 - 18 of 18 Posts