Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Full Press Release follows:

Corus Entertainment Inc. and Paramount Global announced today that Pluto TV, the world’s leading FAST (free ad-supported streaming television) service, will launch in Canada this fall. Launching with more than 100 unique, curated channels and over 20,000 hours of content, the service will offer a full spectrum of free programming including drama, comedy, lifestyle, kids, movies, around-the-clock news, and more. This sees Corus’ leading ad sales capabilities combined with Pluto TV’s best-in-class platform and technology, serving compelling content to audiences and providing a transformative model for advertisers.

At launch, Corus will be the ad representative to what is positioned to become one of the largest free premium ad-supported streaming services in the country. In addition, Pluto TV will offer a curated slate of Corus Original library series that span a variety of genres.

“Corus’ relationship with Pluto TV underlines our commitment to ad-supported premium video, building on the success of STACKTV, the Global TV App, and Premium Video on Demand,” said Greg McLelland, EVP and Chief Revenue Officer, Corus Entertainment. “The agreement further expands the volume of digital video inventory Corus has to offer, in a premium, brand-safe environment allowing our clients to achieve the impact of TV with the measurement and targetability of digital and connect with audiences wherever they are streaming.”

“Pluto TV is committed to further expanding its premium free offering for audiences around the world, and this game-changing partnership with Corus is a testament to that commitment. Following Pluto TV’s recent launch in the Nordics and the partnership we implemented with Viaplay, which served as the strategic framework for this deal, the upcoming launch in Canada will combine Corus’ incredible local content offering with Pluto TV’s global content and world class platform, positioning Pluto TV to become the leading free ad-supported streaming TV service in the country upon launch in the fall,” said Olivier Jollet, Executive Vice President and International General Manager, Pluto TV.

Pluto TV is the global leader in FAST, with nearly 68 million monthly active users who have streamed over 4.8 billion total viewing hours across over 30 countries and territories spanning three continents. Pluto TV will be available for free, with no registration required. Users will be able to watch Pluto TV via Web at www.pluto.tv, via the Pluto TV app for Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Samsung and LG devices, and via mobile apps on the App Store and Google Play.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Will this be a free service like it is in the USA ?

Or will Corus try to tie it to Stack tv , which no one wants ?

The current method of useing a VPN to access pluto no longer works , so this would be a welcome service.

Pluto tv has dragged it's heals for years on avoiding Canada so the competition is well established here.

Once it launches be prepaired for a pluto VS Tubi TV content war.

·
Registered
208 Posts
An add for "Home Theater Movies" appeared on my xbox today, the add was from Pluto Tv , but the app is not yet ready to install.

It seems the advertisement for Pluto tv is coming before the app is ready for users.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ya I tried side loading Pluto TV today and still can't get it to work for the Nvidia Shield. Maybe I'll try one of my crappy Android boxes.
Where are you downloading your android apks from ?

I have a shield 2019 and a older 3 year old model as well.

For apk files for the shield i use https://www.apkmirror.com/ , make shure you do a virus scan on all files you get from there , i scan all downloads with VirusTotal a good online scanner that runs your files against all existing virus database signatures.

Virus total works as i got one positive result on a file that i got from apkmirror , most stuff is clean but it is worth the time to check.

I have nordvpn and successfully got Pluto tv , CW to work but most new apk files from companys like CBS are putting in VPN detection and new os updates from nvidia have been breaking apps as well.

I do not recomend trying to trying to use the shield for pluto tv as you will have to pull your google account off the shield and leave the shield without any google account otherwise , you will get security warnings from hell from google.

As you have a Canadian google account ,and with a VPN your shield will appear as a USA device .
This comes with other problems as you can not access any apps from the USA side of channel store due to paranoid security restrictions imposed by google itself.

For me it's not worth it just for 2 working apps sideloaded with a vpn.
But come to your own conclusions for your hardware.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you have activated a shield with a Canadian google account it remembers, and there is no way to get rid of that.

Unless you can some how factory reset the shield to uninstalled status.

Even if you had a new unused shield, good luck trying to to create a new USA google account without cellphone verify and address verify and user database verify , google knows too much already and all existing verify methods you may find on the web no longer work.

·
Super Moderator
20,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PLUTO TV ANNOUNCES CANADIAN LAUNCH DATE, UNVEILS FIRST LOOK AT CONTENT .

Paramount Global and Corus Entertainment Inc. announced today that Pluto TV, the world's leading FAST (free ad-supported streaming television) service, will debut in Canada on December 1.

The service will debut with its most robust content offering at launch to-date, with more than 100 unique, curated channels and over 20,000 hours of content, including a wide spectrum of free programming such as drama, comedy, lifestyle, kids, movies, around-the-clock news and more. Audiences will be able to enjoy flagship Canadian series from Corus Studios including Love It or List It and Chopped Canada, plus fan-favourite Border Security, as well some key series from the popular NCIS Franchise, including NCIS, NCIS: New Orleans and NCIS: Los Angeles, Judge Judy and Hawaii Five-0. With dedicated channels for nostalgia-fans, Pluto TV in Canada will also feature Hawaii Five-0 Classic, The Love Boat, with many more titles to be announced.

The leading FAST service will also feature curated movie channels programmed by genre, including Pluto TV Comedy, Pluto TV Drama, Pluto TV Action, The Asylum, Christmas 365 and Thriller 365.

Pluto TV Canada will offer a wide range of exclusive channels featuring international and Canadian titles. Channels available at launch will include:
  • Pluto TV Comedy: For the most hilarious, most quotable, most excellent movies that will keep you in stitches 24/7, watch Pluto TV Comedy. With a library of lunacy and a litany of ludicrousness, this is the place when you are looking to LOL.
  • Pluto TV Drama: On Pluto TV Drama, serious film is taken…seriously. Some of the best cinematic dramas of all time can be experiences here, in all their angsty, gritty, sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes heartwarming glory.
  • Pluto TV Action: It's time to go into overdrive by jumping off buildings, flying a burning plane, driving in a car chase and saving the world. Pluto TV Action brings you blockbusters, stars, and a strong dose of high-octane excitement.
  • The Asylum: From the creators of Sharknado, The Asylum offers the very best in guilty pleasure Original Movies and TV, featuring action-adventure, sci-fi, horror, late-night thrills and more. Popcorn and beer is a must!
  • Christmas 365: Every day is Christmas on Christmas 365, with feel-good, heart-warming Christmas movies no matter what the season.
  • Thriller 365: Warning: may cause thrills. Thrillers 365 is devoted to the nail-biting, heart-stopping movies that give the genre its name
International content that will be available includes:
  • NCIS: NCIS (Naval Criminal Investigative Service)
  • NCIS: New Orleans
  • NCIS: Los Angeles
  • Hawaii Five-0: a contemporary take on the classic series.
  • Hawaii Five-0 Classic: (Jack Lord)
  • The Love Boat:
  • Judge Judy
Additionally, viewers will have access to a selection of Canadian series and shows from Corus' portfolio, including:
  • Love It or List It
  • Chopped Canada
  • Border Security
At launch, Corus will be the ad representative to what is positioned to become one of the largest free premium ad-supported streaming services in the country. In addition, Pluto TV will offer a curated slate of Corus Original library series that span a variety of genres.

Pluto TV will be available for free, with no registration required. At launch, Canadian users will be able to watch Pluto TV via Web at www.pluto.tv, via the Pluto TV app for Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Android TV, Chromecast, Samsung and LG devices, and via mobile apps on the App Store and Google Play.

See the press release for program descriptions.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Border Security... man... you guys remember that dude with the long hair who put a plastic dolls leg in his pants to impress the women where he was and Border Security questioned him on why it was in his luggage? LOL. That had to be the best episode I ever laughed at.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts