Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot to ask this when I got my bell installed, but the installer said I couldn't plug the 9241 into a power bar and had to plug it directly into the wall because it uses lots of power, too much for a power bar to give. Is this true? I would hate for something to go wrong and fry the receiver because it was not protected by a power bar!

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
the installer said I couldn't plug the 9241 into a power bar and had to plug it directly into the wall because it uses lots of power, too much for a power bar to give.
That's a pile of horse doodah. The 9241 consumes less that 35w, about as much as a couple of 60w compact fluorescent lamps. It may be true that some extension cords or low quality (aka defective) power bars have caused problems in the past. What you were told is a Bell company myth. Most A/V equipment benefits from being connected to a common power bar with surge protection. A surge protected UPS is even better for Bell receivers. Don't connect the coax through a power bar or UPS though. That is best connected through a simple grounding block where it enters the house.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts