Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://jam.canoe.ca/Video/2011/02/09/17218241.html
Activision Blizzard said on Wednesday it would disband the unit that makes its Guitar Hero games, citing declining popularity for music-themed video games.

The company, whose first-quarter outlook was below Wall Street expectations, said it would disband its Guitar Hero business unit and stop development of the Guitar Hero game for 2011.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Pretty amazing how it went from the hottest thing 5 years ago to nothing now.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think its popularity peaked in the 2007-2008 timeframe.

I was playing GH2 on my PS2 before it grew into such the industry wide fad, when it was still a PS2 exclusive. By the time it shifted to the PS3/XBox platforms and spawned GH3+ and the Rock Band franchises, I had already lost interest.

I'm surprised it went as long as it did actually. And like everything they pushed it past the point of saturation. Its no wonder its lost its appeal.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Rock Band didn't flood the market with useless spinoff games. They kept them to only a few (Green Day, Beatles and LEGO). I say they still have a few years left in them, with RB4 in late 2012 and MAYBE a part 5 in 2014. Guitar Hero got greedy, and look where that left them. Rock Band may not have sold the most, but they're going to be around a lot longer.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
That is what Activision does, it finds something that works and churns it out as fast as possible until world+dog is sick of it.

It's only a matter of time before Activision is toast. I just hope it doesn't take Blizzard with it. No idea why they merged. It's like Dracula marrying Snow White.

Quotes from Bobby Kotick

http://www.h3xed.com/post.php?id=23

"We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."

"I think we definitely have been able to instill the culture, the skepticism and pessimism and fear that you should have in an economy like we are in today. And so, while generally people talk about the recession, we are pretty good at keeping people focused on the deep depression."

"The best of all margins – the 25 per cent operating margin business – has the potential as we can see with World of Warcraft to be a 50 per cent operating margin business."

"really rewards profit and nothing else." (Concerning Kotick's incentive program for Activision employees)

-- San Francisco Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference 2009

"If you think about the success that we've had in other product categories on subscription, you can get a sense of the direction that we want to take that franchise" (Concerning Call of Duty franchise)

-- Financial Call February 2010

"Long-term focus and commitment to providing superior returns to our shareholders."

"And Tony, you know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further."

-- Activision Blizzard Q2 2009 Earnings Call (transcript)

"First, right now we are ahead of our plans to realize the benefits of the combined company, especially our key profit and profit margin objectives."

"Why don’t we start with the Vivendi Games businesses -- there were a lot of different projects and businesses that we identified as not likely to achieve the profit margin potential that we look for."

"With respect to the franchises that don’t have the potential to be exploited every year across every platform with clear sequel potential that can meet our objectives of over time becoming $100 million plus franchises, that’s a strategy that has worked very well for us."

"And again, our strategy, narrow and deep, focus on properties that will sell to a very broad consumer base on the console -- those are strategies that seem to work well."

"there will continue to be opportunities for us to exploit the PC platform in ways that we haven’t yet."

"It’s harder to attract development talent to projects that are more speculative in the long run, and so what we found is that if you have a [need] for innovation in existing franchises, that’s a recipe for margin expansion and you still need to have production of new original intellectual property, but you need to do it very, very selectively"

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I never understood the fad. I understood the appeal of the game and the gameplay, but I didn't understand the appeal of purchasing song after song to hit buttons to. There should just be a music game that uses an algorithm that lets you use any song in your MP3 library with a guitar or drum controller or whatever. But I guess there's no money in that.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
even though rockband didn't sell as many, I think it had greater appeal to a wider base of player,

I can't play the guitar at all, easy at the most, when I was playing a lot, I could drum almost 50% of the songs on hard, the wife couldn't do either but she loved to sing,

the game is still fun but compared to how much I used to play its maybe 10%,

Activision does tend to get greedy, maybe not for this game but they pump out DLC, most of which might be finished but its far from polished, (CoD WaW perfect example, but the time the 3rd map pack came out I was like really anything to make a buck)

its the typical buisness model these days, make something hope it gets popular and if it does suck the life out of it and pound it down people throats till they get sick of it,

very few companys/people think long term anymore

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
There should just be a music game that uses an algorithm that lets you use any song in your MP3 library with a guitar or drum controller or whatever. But I guess there's no money in that.
Well, that's a nice idea but I would love to hear how that would work exactly. The algorithm manages to separate the two channel audio into at least four discrete audio streams (one per instrument) and creates easy-expert note charts on the fly?

That would be something.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Also Guitar Hero built games, Rock Band built a platform, more or less. The reason I went with Rock Band was it would mean that when a new version came out I wouldn't have to rebuy songs or use the older versions of software to play the songs I like. With Rock Band (Beatles excepted) I can use the latest software and play 99% of my songs. With GH, it was a case of tough luck, we've upgraded you can't bring your songs with you.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Well, that's a nice idea but I would love to hear how that would work exactly. The algorithm manages to separate the two channel audio into at least four discrete audio streams (one per instrument) and creates easy-expert note charts on the fly?

That would be something.
I don't think it's all that complicated. The sounds in a song are discrete enough. And even if the notes were just a rough approximation, everyone still has the same fun. Real guitarists always say these games are not like playing real instruments.

And even if it wasn't the full rock band experience, but just the old game with one or two guitars. Hook that up to your mp3 collection and you've got a hit.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It is incredibly complicated to chart a song for these games. If it were as easy as plugging in your MP3 player, I think they would have done that by now.

And those real guitarists obviously haven't tried Pro Expert mode on Rockband 3. You can now (well, soon-ish) get a *real* guitar (six strings and a pick) that outputs MIDI notes, and play the song note for note. You can already do this with the drums and keyboard on Pro Expert mode, and it is a note for note rendition of the song. If you can play it in the game, you could potentially play it for real, assuming you could remember it... :)

Personally I am still a huge fan of the genre, and play almost every day. I have both Rockband and Guitar Hero, but I prefer Rockband as it's more realistic. But, Guitar Hero has Metallica, so I do occasionally switch over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts