Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
nice. we use plex pretty much every day here, even moreso as music support gets better

being able to have an officially supported live tv option would be great. I really briefly had everything working like that with media portal, but it's syncing of watched media was pretty kludgy and problematic

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am a long time Plex user. Manages libraries well and it passes the ease of use test in that most in the family can stream content when they want.

We run the Plex Media server on a large Ubuntu box with an i7 CPU and 6TB of storage. It serves up all our media - FLAC music and DVD rips. All high quality files.

We distribute video through either the native Plex app on LG TV's or using the Android/iOS app to a Chromecast.

For streaming music, I have moved to RasPlex which is a small linux distro that runs on the Raspberry Pi. We have two of these that just plug into existing music systems. Both have add-on boards from HifiBerry (DAC+ and Digi+) to bypass the sound system on the RPi. Excellent results. These run 'headless' and are controlled by the same Android/iOS apps. They show up on the list of Chromecasts. The Plex app is great on both Android and iOS.

I am interested to play with the integration of the HDHomerun. I missed this somehow.

One big feature I would love is if the Plex server could serve the same music content to multiple destinations in sync - giving me multi-room audio.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
For multi-room audio, you might want to look at the Chromecast Audio. Google recently enabled that in a firmware update.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am a long time Plex user. Manages libraries well and it passes the ease of use test in that most in the family can stream content when they want.

We run the Plex Media server on a large Ubuntu box with an i7 CPU and 6TB of storage. It serves up all our media - FLAC music and DVD rips. All high quality files.

We distribute video through either the native Plex app on LG TV's or using the Android/iOS app to a Chromecast.

For streaming music, I have moved to RasPlex which is a small linux distro that runs on the Raspberry Pi. We have two of these that just plug into existing music systems. Both have add-on boards from HifiBerry (DAC+ and Digi+) to bypass the sound system on the RPi. Excellent results. These run 'headless' and are controlled by the same Android/iOS apps. They show up on the list of Chromecasts. The Plex app is great on both Android and iOS.

I am interested to play with the integration of the HDHomerun. I missed this somehow.

One big feature I would love is if the Plex server could serve the same music content to multiple destinations in sync - giving me multi-room audio.

Thanks.
I am using Logitech media server and PiCoreplayer on my raspberry pi with Hifiberry for music for the fact it can sync . It would be nice to have Plex players sync but until that time I have decided to run my music as a separate server.

Have you done a sound test for the difference between Picoreplayer and Rasplex? I might have to find some time to try and compare.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anybody have experience with the Plex app on the new Vizio M series TV's? I just bought a Vizio M70 C3 and I have to say the Plex app really sucks. I was using a mycloudmirror NAS as my server and thought it may be too shy on power, so I went and got a Mac Mini for my media server. I still cannot play a movie on the TV app, but my Roku Stick works fine....it kind of pisses be off that I have a brand new 4K smart TV with the Plex app, and I still have to use a $50 Roku stick!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
My guess its the app itself..

I have the Samsung app (which is almost identical to the PHT program for PC) and works fine.
Still works on my OLD LG Smart TV with their old app for accessing it.

I would try and look on the PLEX forums themselves, they often have sections for most app support there.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Roku is most likely playing a file it supports natively. The Vizio is most likely causing transcoding. I have the M55-C2 and have no issues playing the files through a virtualised Ubuntu server running Plex.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you have your settings on your plex server set up to save bandwidth or have to play non-native video files you're gonna have a bad time... eventually... depending on the load on the server.

I've had 7 people streaming off mine with an average load of 3.8-4 on a quad core just fine. Only began to hitch when adding an 8th that was a LAN chromecast.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I an running a brand new Mac Mini with a 1.4ghz i5 processor and 4 gb of ram. I dont think the server is the issue. Can someone suggest the best settings for Plex?...I will review them and see if there are any issues.

·
Registered
894 Posts
One setting I always use is under Settings/server/Transcoder. Change transcoder quality to Make my pc hurt. This setting got rid of buffering I had.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I an running a brand new Mac Mini with a 1.4ghz i5 processor and 4 gb of ram.
how is it networked to the tv? what type of video file are you trying to process?

your best bet is probably server logs, and the plex forums, but it's probably either too high a profile for your wifi to keep up (and the roku is requesting a lower bandwidth profile, and works fine) or the server just isn't keeping up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Was using Plex up until a year ago. Set up a server and hosted my home/family videos to my relatives across Canada.
They loved seeing the old family reunion videos however after hosting (and paying a fee for being a server) for 6 months I shut it down because it wasn't being used much anymore.

I loved the ease of setup and it was easy to help setup on my relatives computers. They found the playback to be great and easy to use.

Will go back to it one of these days.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The TV is connected via CAT 6 cable. Most of the video files are MKV. I think the server is plenty powerful enough. On the plex forums there are lots of people having issues with the app on the Vizio TV's. I guess I will keep tinkering and try to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I wonder if its how the player is playing it, etc.

By default, plex just streams to the tv/device.. and allows the device to play it NAITIVELY.. play the file using its own decoders, etc.
It could be how its specifically trying to play them?

I know when I first got my Samsung TV, with the original Plex app on it.. with MKV files with build in subtitles (not an SRT file, etc).. would crash the app/tv.
Would play Divx AVI, mp4, etc without issues.
Was able to change the streaming options per video.. and on those ones, changes it to TRANSCODE first. Put a lot more strain on the server.. but the stream would play properly.

Wondering if the same, where it needs to be fully transcoded first to play on that player?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have never used PleX, but I have it on my Android TV box.
Is PleX similar to the PS3 media server in that I can share files on my PC, and play them on my TV via a device with PleX installed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yes, it acts as a media server.
I can be a DLNA server for devices which dont have a plex app as well.

So you run the server on your PC with your content.. and it creates its own database.

It gives you a NETFLIX like interface for all your media.. where it downloads the TV/MOVIE info so its more than just browsing file names.

Has apps for all the mobile devices, its management interface is simple and web based (which you can also play from)

With a little setup (port forwarding), you can also then access it from OUTSIDE.. stream your content elsewhere, etc.

·
Registered
682 Posts
One setting I always use is under Settings/server/Transcoder. Change transcoder quality to Make my pc hurt. This setting got rid of buffering I had.
May get rid of the buffering if you're streaming one device but it may cause you problems down the road. Keep it in mind IF you begin to see buffering/stuttering issues once again and ONLY when multiple people are streaming.

Also the fact that this resolved your issue means you have bandwidth issues from your server to your device, or your device sucks with that file format. But if it's something standard, like mpeg4 then it's bandwidth.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts