Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some difficulty with my Pro-Ject record player. It seems to only play out of one side (left speaker) and not the right. In fact one (they are not colour coded) of the RCA cables that comes out of the back of the record player when plugged into either right or left speaker jack in the receiver produces no sound, just a very noisy hum, the hum somewhat diminishes when the ground wire is connected, but not entirely. Even when it just plays out of one speaker when the working RCA cable is plugged in, the sound is not clean, it is distorted and scratchy. I don't believe it is my receiver because it plays CD's, radio, and MP3 player without any problems, and sound comes out of both speakers, right and left. It must be the record player, how can I fix this issue? I have owned the record player for 3 years. Thanks, Chris

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Your turntable (record player) may have a bad connection at the stylus/cartridge. Remove the stylus/cartridge (needle) and clean the contacts and re-assemble everything carefully without damaging the stylus. One of your RCA cables may also have come loose at the turntable or it could have a broken conductor inside. Sometimes you can find the problem by bending/manipulating the non-working cable while it's connected to see if you can find the problem point. Turn the volume down on the AVR while doing this so that you can still hear the audio from the turntable.

It may be possible to replace the RCA cables completely if you're good at that sort of thing. If nothing has been damaged, I would suspect poor contact(s) between the cartridge and the tonearm. Sometimes there are very fine wires at the cartridge which may have come loose or be broken.

Some stores (Bay Bloor) have turntable clinics. Your location might help.

Read the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
good to see solid direction re: TT's here, and another creature enjoying vinyl. ..ahem... trying to anyway .. :D

just sayin'

1 - 3 of 3 Posts