Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Super Moderator
59,109 Posts
If a speaker has two crossovers, then the speaker likely contains 3 different drivers. The woofer, the mid-range and the tweeter.

The crossover indicates roughly where one speaker driver stops "working" and the next takes over. So, in your example, the tweeter would take over from the mid-range driver at 2kHz. The drivers don't actually "stop" working since there's a rolloff in the frequency response, so there are typically electronics involved at the crossover.

Of course there are speakers with only one or no crossovers depending on the number/type of drivers. Some higher priced speakers may contain even more drivers - have a number of woofers, tweeters, etc.

Then there are subwoofers, that take over from the regular speakers at the low end. These crossovers are usually handed by the AV Receiver, although not always, depending on your configuration.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.