Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a speaker specs indicate that the X-over is 200Hz & 2khz, what does that mean? Would someone please explain in layman's term? Thank you.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
If a speaker has two crossovers, then the speaker likely contains 3 different drivers. The woofer, the mid-range and the tweeter.

The crossover indicates roughly where one speaker driver stops "working" and the next takes over. So, in your example, the tweeter would take over from the mid-range driver at 2kHz. The drivers don't actually "stop" working since there's a rolloff in the frequency response, so there are typically electronics involved at the crossover.

Of course there are speakers with only one or no crossovers depending on the number/type of drivers. Some higher priced speakers may contain even more drivers - have a number of woofers, tweeters, etc.

Then there are subwoofers, that take over from the regular speakers at the low end. These crossovers are usually handed by the AV Receiver, although not always, depending on your configuration.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks 57.

following up with my example, does that mean that from 2khz to 400hz will be handled by the mid range driver and from 400hz and below will be handled by low range driver?

and if the speaker can only go as low as 35hz, then the subwoofer takes over?

would appreciate your comment whether I am understanding this correctly.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sam you pretty much have that spot on. Now a days the subs crossover can be adjusted by the user either in the Amp set up or on the sub itself. I personally set the sub crossover in the amp to as high as possible or pass-through and then adjust the crossover on the actual sub.

Although most speakers are capable of reaching a range of 30 or 40hz I always have my sub come in around 60 or 70hz. That way you can set your speaker crossovers in your amp up higher so you aren't working your amp(s) and speakers as hard and are allowing your sub to produce the low end you are looking for.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I usually set my crossover to the sub (on the sub like the poster above) around 80 hz. My suggestion is play with the settings and see which one sounds good to you. There's the science part and there's the "sounds-good-to-me" part.

Then with your favorite beverage in hand, enjoy the fruits of your hard work.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts