Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are fed up with the black bar that contains the pause information and obscures the bottom half of your screen for a few seconds with the Bell Fibe Home Whole PVR client release 3.2.34263.4003, Please like/reply to this post.
This is also an accessibility issue as it blocks out the closed captions for a few seconds forcing you to rewind after every pause to read what was blacked out and you had just missed.
This may seem trivial, but it has irked me enough to write about it and maybe this thread will draw some attention to the problem. I have not talked to Bell about it because I believe my complaint would fall on deaf ears and possibly more voices would make Bell take some action to the issue. Either that or you will tell me just to live with it and there are more important issues in life and so be it.

John Talbot

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
I hear you and hope you have more luck than we have at Rogers. At least on Rogers Digital Cable you can hit the exit key to get rid of the status bar quickly. After many years I'm good at hitting "play" (or jump back key to give me 10-15 seconds since I'm not as fast with the play button as I used to be coming off FF) followed by "exit". ;)

We also use CC on some programming, but make do with the audio unless we happen to miss something important.

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
You can press the "Exit to TV" button to dismiss the progress bar at the bottom of the screen. The response is instantaneous and you shouldn't miss any of the CC. In other words, press "play" and "exit".

The "Exit to TV" button is a multipurpose exit button. You can also use it to dismiss the progress bar if you fast-forwarded to the current time either on live TV or if you are watching a recording in progress. Also if you pause a program and you want the read the bottom of the screen (CC or news crawl or ticker or disclaimer "fine print".)

You can also press exit to return to live TV if you paused or rewound the live feed (especially handy for news channels.) This also works if you use the restart feature. In these cases the software will ask for a confirmation, so you don't accidentally lose your place.

Finally, you can use exit to quickly return to live TV if you are watching a recorded program. Your progress will be bookmarked, so you can resume at the correct spot.

The software has been tweaked and fine-tuned aver the years and I generally like the way it works compared to other systems.

Bell doesn't write the software. They buy both the hardware and software from third-party suppliers. Almost all telcos in Canada and many around the world use the same Mediaroom software. Therefore Bell doesn't have direct control over the exact functions, although they would have a mechanism to report bugs and major usability issues to the developers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can press the "Exit to TV" button to dismiss the progress bar at the bottom of the screen. The response is instantaneous and you shouldn't miss any of the CC. In other words, press "play" and "exit".

The "Exit to TV" button is a multipurpose exit button. You can also use it to dismiss the progress bar if you fast-forwarded to the current time either on live TV or if you are watching a recording in progress. Also if you pause a program and you want the read the bottom of the screen (CC or news crawl or ticker or disclaimer "fine print".)

You can also press exit to return to live TV if you paused or rewound the live feed (especially handy for news channels.) This also works if you use the restart feature. In these cases the software will ask for a confirmation, so you don't accidentally lose your place.

Finally, you can use exit to quickly return to live TV if you are watching a recorded program. Your progress will be bookmarked, so you can resume at the correct spot.

The software has been tweaked and fine-tuned aver the years and I generally like the way it works compared to other systems.

Bell doesn't write the software. They buy both the hardware and software from third-party suppliers. Almost all telcos in Canada and many around the world use the same Mediaroom software. Therefore Bell doesn't have direct control over the exact functions, although they would have a mechanism to report bugs and major usability issues to the developers.
Hey, that works! Wahoo! I never thought of that. It's not obvious but I will remember the trick and maybe others will read your reply and know it too.

thanks ever so much!

john Talbot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts