Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I was wondering if I buy new smart HD TV to watch 4K content. Will I be able to watch 4K content from built-in apps e.g. Disney+, Netflix or Amazon Prime Video without using my old Pioneer VSX-1325 AVR? I think I would need new AVR to pass through 4K signal through AVR and I am also missing ARC (Audio return channel) on my old AVR..
If I can play 4k content from built-in apps on TV then is there any device which I attach to get ARC functionality.
If I can use some external convertor then I can wait to buy new AVR sometime next year. I heard there are issues with the current chips used for HDCP 2.1 conversion on most of the current AVRs.

I will appreciate your expert advice..

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
When I bought a new smart TV last year I routed all the HDMI cables thru the TV and used optical audio out from the TV to the receiver. The TV's built in apps do 4K content well....Youtube, Netflix, Prime, etc. For the devices attached to the TV, my Roku is pretty much redundant and Bluray play never gets used any more. Devices attached to the TV's USB port can also be used for 4K content which the TV also plays.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I bought a new smart TV last year I routed all the HDMI cables thru the TV and used optical audio out from the TV to the receiver. The TV's built in apps do 4K content well....Youtube, Netflix, Prime, etc. For the devices attached to the TV, my Roku is pretty much redundant and Bluray play never gets used any more. Devices attached to the TV's USB port can also be used for 4K content which the TV also plays.
Thanks for your reply. I can use this workaround until I am ready to buy new AVR.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Digital audio over optical cable is limited to legacy Dolby Digital and DTS. The AVR may have the same limitations. To get uncompressed audio and newer formats such as DD+, ARC or HDMI directly to the AVR is required.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Digital audio over optical cable is limited to legacy Dolby Digital and DTS. The AVR may have the same limitations. To get uncompressed audio and newer formats such as DD+, ARC or HDMI directly to the AVR is required.
Yes, you are right, optical cable is limited to Dolby Digital 5.1 sound only.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure what the following device does to convert audio signal:

ViewHD Prosumer UHD HDMI 4X1 Switch with Audio Extraction | Dedicated HDMI Audio Output | 18Gbps | [email protected] | Dolby Vision & HDR | HDCP 2.2 | Model: VHD-U4X1AS.

I will appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
...optical TOSLINK port supports all audio formats up to Dolby Digital 5.1CH and Dolby Digital Plus; ... HDMI Output B and TOSLINK support ARC at the same time, ... ARC audio supports DD5.1CH format, does not support DD+.
Note that DD+ is not a fixed format. It encompasses DD5.1 as its baseline but can carry up to 15.1 channels. It's unlikely that anything more than DD5.1 will be available on the optical TOSLINK port. The best you will likely see from this device is DD5.1 from any audio output port.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, so I have a similar question. Just purchased a 4K smart TV with built-in apps. I have a Yamaha receiver which handles 4K on all HDMI inputs. Is there a way to have audio from the TV via HDMI without the optical cable? I hate flipping between the TV remote for channel/app selection, etc. and the receiver remote for volume. Do HDMI switches help with this. Sorry if this is a basic question.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think if your AVR has ARC(Audio Return Channel) HDMI port then you should be able to do it. Your TV and AVR need to have ARC- HDMI ports to support audio back to AVR from TV.

Edit by 57: Unnecessary Quote Removed.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
ARC or eARC should work for all audio formats over HDMI. One of the ports on the TV and another on the AVR should be labelled for ARC or eARC. Connect an ARC compatible HDMI cable between the two. Note that it will be an output on the AVR and an input on the TV. ARC will need to be enabled on both.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
And ARC has to be turned on in all applicable devices/user menus. Item 4 FAQ below.

Looks like @ExDilbert posted a few seconds before I did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
And ARC has to be turned on in all applicable devices/user menus. Item 4 FAQ below.

Looks like @ExDilbert posted a few seconds before I did.
Thank you. Just found the appropriate setting in my receiver that solved the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts