Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone is using to play their (local or streamed) 1080p MKV files on macs?

I have / had been using VLC (been using this application for many many years on everything from windows to linux and now recently this macbook pro) but I have noticed that some of the playback was being choppy with the 1080p mkv files. At first I thought it might be related to network speed but since I've upgrade to wireless N this should not be the case and my network speed benchmarking demonstrates this.

I finally took some time last night to do some poking around and determined the problem appears to be with VLC itself. I then installed mplayer OSX - extended and that has so far played everything without choppiness.

What player(s) are you using? Any issues with 1080p MKV files?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the latest incarnation of the MacBook Pro.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have an Imac with the new i3 processors and I experience choppiness all the time when playing back some avi's, but they aren't all 1080p MKV's. It is quite random. I read somewhere (I'll try to find the link) that this is a well documented problem with Snow Leopard software. If you google it, I'm sure you will have no problem finding it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had similar issues with VLC and ended up using Mplayer also... I had tried making sure my OSX was in 64bit mode and getting a 64bit version of VLC, no difference.

Since I switched to mplayer no choppiness or issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guess I'll stick with mplayer then!

Maybe I'll revisit VLC some time in the future - at least on the mac.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts