Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Playbook (PB) includes a Kobo books app which functions perfectly with books purchased from Kobo, but is 'locked in' to the site and the PB's Kobo app will not recognize non-DRMed epub files transferred through a USB connection to the PB's documents sub-folder.

While it is possible to convert epub to PDF using Calibre on a PC and transferring the file to the PB, the PB's Adobe Reader only renders a few pages of text followed by blank pages. Trying to fractionate the PDF file to 20 or 40 page increments using Adobe Pro does not solve the problem; the smaller files render fewer pages than the parent file using the PB's Adobe Reader. All these PDF files are perfect when viewed on a PC with Adobe Reader, so it is the PB's version of AR which is crippled.
The $0.99 app called 'Book Reader' solves all these problems on the PB. The app checks all the PB's folders for ebook file extensions and then adds these to its own library. The app has all the usual bells and whistles, such as font change and sizing, bookmarking, and can read most ebook formats (Kindle). :D

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Is the playbook kobo app different than iOS and android? Cause I load generic ePub into my iOS and android kobo apps all the time

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The latest Playbook OS version is 1.0.8.4985, and yes the Kobo app can only read books purchased, or downloaded if free, on the Kobo website. Now, if someone is running OS 2.0 beta, android kobo versions become available, and maybe there are less restrictions. I have not tried this. I was just surprised that the Playbook is not more ebook friendly, out of the box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts