Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you can stream divx/xvid to the 360 now but with the divx update in the fall if i burn divx files to a dvd can i watch them on the 360 from the dvd ?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I can confirm this, USB keys work like a charm. I can play .avi using divx, I can also play .divx and of course .wmv (1440x1080HDV & 5.1ch audio). For the HDV res it automatically fills out the widescreen due to the pixel ratio not being square.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Normally i just stream my files to the 360 through Windows Media Center, But i'm burning a TV Series for a friend who can't stream, but when i tried the dvd in the console it said unknown and won't reconize it and play it.. Do i play it from the main screen or do i got to open up media center or videos on the 360 ?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
you need to be connected to LIVE in order to play DIVX (no clue why).
This is not the case. The only circumstance where this is true is if you downloaded the DIVX patch on one console with your profile and later on re-downloaded it on a different console using the same profile (it actually says already downloaded where you select download again). And even in that case, you can login to live, play a file, exit out of that file and log out of LIVE. You will still be able to play the file even when you are now logged out, but you do need to have logged into LIVE once if you have turned the console off. You need to do this everytime you have shutdown and restarted your console. But on the original console I downloaded the patch from the very first time, that console does not need to be logged into LIVE.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Is this patch located in the marketplace or do I have to get it from somewhere else? just wondering

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't understand the advantage of streaming divx to the xbox 360..

If you have your PC close enough to connect it to your xbox 360, why not just connect it to your TV and play the video in a divx player from your desktop? Why would I want my xbox running?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Some TVs either have no VGA input or (like mine) the VGA input is crippled to run at a lower resolution.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
If you have your PC close enough to connect it to your xbox 360, why not just connect it to your TV and play the video in a divx player from your desktop? Why would I want my xbox running?
It's a hassle to do things on your standard PC. You have to hook it up to your HT Receiver (which may already be short on inputs), then you always have to get up, go to the PC and open menus, windows, navigate to directories, open up the file with the viewer, maximize it and play. You have to get up every 20 minutes if you watching half hour tv shows and do most of that again (if you don't have wireless keyboards and mice - which you'd have to go out and buy). It is general more cumbersome.

The 360 is hooked up already to your HT receiver/TV and ready to go. The interface is simple, and quick to navigate back and forth, pause, rewind etc. Most have wireless controllers so no need to worry about the getting up hassle. It just ends up being a much more TV room friendly device than a PC.

And again, ultimately what Eluder said. My PCs are nowhere near my TV. I could certainly bring one of them downstairs, but man the fan noise would drive me crazy and since you aren't using the 360's dvd drive, it is much quieter than the typical PC.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got rid of mt HTPC because of the 360 divx update.

1) the 360 boots up and has a vid playing waaaaaay faster than my e6750/2gb ram PC can.

2) the interface can be controlled much easier with a remote than the htpc can.

3) the codec/filter they use on the 360 is unmatched, I have files that looked like pixelated crap on the htpc and they are dvd quality, some better than on the 360.

your milage may very, but I find this update to be worth the cost of a 360 alone....

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I have both my PC and my PS3 connected. Streaming is useful for me because I get 5.1 sound from my computer to my HT system. But the PC is useful for those files that don't work, or when I need subtitles...nothing as sweet as double-clicking a file when you want to watch it.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I used to use the 360 for streaming [getting rid of it] and now use the PS3. I gave my HTPC which used to be connected directly to the AVR and tv before I got the 360 to my daughter as her new desktop and got a laptop for myself. Like other folks here say HTPCs are just too cumbersome for family friendly use. I much prefer the simple interface of the 360 and PS3 for media streaming and I can stream just as easily with a laptop as a desktop HTPC.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I dunno, I don't find my HTPC cumbersome to use, but then again mine has a remote, and I've programmed my harmony for it too. So it'll turn on my HTPC, go to the right inputs on the TV, AVR, etc, and I can control powerdvd from the remote too...

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's just way too easy with the 360, and as I am 100% divx/xvid as far as what I watch, it's perfect. If you want PVR functions, or to surf the web, the yeah, HTPC all the way.

But if you want the fastest way to watch divx on a tv, then 360/ps3 cant be beat, even the fastest computer takes a while to boot up compared to a console, and on the 360 its "right, right, down, down, a, a" and you are watching a vid.

Plus has anyone else noticed how nicely the 360 renders divx? to me it blows my pc away and it is like 3 months old with top shelf components!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts