Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Canada and have a fully remote, work-from-home job. As such, we are contemplating making a short-term move to Panama for the winter months. I've been told by residents there that they have excellent internet infrastructure. My only concern is calls from my clients. Is there a way to forward calls from my landline and cellphone to a virtual number? I researched Skype Number but unfortunately they don't offer numbers in Canada so if I were to purchase a Skype number in New York for example, I'm assuming I would incur long-distance charges for calls from my clients > my Cdn cellphone/landline > New York Skype number?
Does anyone have any other insight into this and suggestions?

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
The home number could be ported to a VoIP service. Larger VoIP companies like voip.ms have an international presence and can provide call location for most Canadian cities. Just port the home number to a good VoIP service.

Not sure about the cell phone service. It might be difficult to port the number to and from Panama. Some companies provide international calling plans that will help keep costs low. These plans do not need to be purchased from the Canadian provider. They can be purchased from third party companies.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
^^^^
You can easily configure your cell phone to forward to another number. I do that with my phone, so that whenever it's off or busy, calls get forwarded to my home phone.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
The issue with that is receiving and making cell phone calls in another country while not at home.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
At my work place we have our own DID phone number which is SIP Based and has a VoIP hard phone at our desk connected to ethernet.
When we are out of the office, which is the new normal now since the Covid-19 pandemic began. We have a software installed on our computers where if someone calls our DID it not just rings on our desk but it rings on our soft phone application as well. We can make and receive calls from the comfort of lets say our home, or my in-laws house, or a local hotel/motel. and the call still shows im calling from my 416 number.

Find out if your work has a softphone where you can use your office line (or extension) virtually with a voip client. or actually you may even be able to program a physical Voip hard phone with your account and use that. For me that is not possible because our work phones are programmed to connect to our VoIP server which is only on our intranet. it will not register on a public internet connection.

a Colleague of mine wanted to go to India to visit his family but of the 2 weeks he was there, he had 2 days scheduled for work, so he worked remotely from India and was able to connect just fine. Always double check with your work, some may not allow to connect to the Work infrastructure or vpn from certain countries

Worse case, if your work wont allow to use your office number virtually, just register a New 416 number thru any voip provider and use a software or hardware voip solution, and use the 416 number for your clients, or port your existing number to that and you have an instant voip phone.

·
Super Moderator
4,484 Posts
I use Fongo (www.fongo.com) on my phone to make voip calls over wifi/ foreign country data plans. I also have my cell forward to my fongo number after 4 rings. It costs me nothing and I think I put $5 on my account for cheap international calling if that is required, I then just buy a local data only sim when I travel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts