Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

I'm overall pretty happy with the setup. This is our 2nd house, but my 1st major complete DIY renovation.

Happy with the drywall seams on all the vertical walls... mostly happy with the ceiling seams. The corners could be better. - Next time.

It's a sound isolated room. I used double 1/2" drywall on all the walls, with green glue, and double 5/8's drywall and green glue on the ceiling. I also used hat channel and Kinetics Isomax clips on the ceiling, and either staggered stud walls, or double walls to finish the 2 interior walls.

I can watch movies or play FPS on the 360 as loud as I want, and my wife doesn't complain. I can here a bit of bass upstairs, but that will improve once I add a 2nd door to the main entrance that leads upstairs.

Very happy with how the 120" BOC screen turned out. I used 1x4 poplar milled at a lumber yard to 10' lengths to construct the frame for the screen, and 1x3" select pine to make the black velvet border.

Putting a Blu Ray player on my xmas list from my wife, and going to see what deals there are on boxing day for a sub $500 7.1 receiver with HDMI switching. I am currently using a 5yr old sony str-de595 receiver for the sound. It was only $250 back in 2003, and has 10x the distortion of current receivers.... 0.7% THD at 90w

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nicely done!

I'm just beginning conversion of my circa 1984 finished basement (think wood paneling EVERYWHERE) to a 1080p home theatre.

What projector are you using?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Looks nice, congrats.
Can I ask you how much $$$ it cost to put it all together and how much more $$$ your still planning on putting into it, just curious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very nice work! That's a very thorough sound-proofing job - may I ask where you got the Kinetics Isomax clips and what they cost?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks nice, congrats.
Can I ask you how much $$$ it cost to put it all together and how much more $$$ your still planning on putting into it, just curious.
I added up the receipts yesterday.... The total project cost after taxes about $12,000 (give or take 5%).

A brief pictoral (not very well kept - sorry) can be found here:
http://www.pjbj.ca/labels/basement.html

a rough drawing of the layout is found here:

For the rough break down of dollars.

Soundproofing materials - including the clips, green glue, insulation, weatherstripping for doors, caulking (but not including the 2nd layer of drywall ) was $2903

Drywall materials (inc. 2nd layer) I used about 80 sheets of drywall total - tape, mud, screws, super6, and 1/3rd of a ebay drywall lift was $1726

Framing materials - lumber, screws, nails for pneumatic framing gun, shopvac bags, shims etc etc $870

Electrical materials - IR dimmers, switches, boxes, 2 new circuit breakers, romex, lights, cat5 cable, 5g6 was $834

Doors - safe and sound- 2 x32", 1 x 31.75" wide, finger jointed pine for extra thick door jambs (none of my jambs are 'standard' thicknesses) stops, door knobs, 9 hinges - $681

Some new tools on sale - Makita 18v lithium 4 pack (hammer drill, impact driver, reciprating saw (Mr. Fix it), worklight), Ridgid 16g Finish Nailer, couple roller stands - $749

Carpet and install - 450 sq ft - $1350

Paint / Primer - Benjamin Moore - roughly $50-60/gallon - $400

Materials for screen and stereo stand, PJ mount: $228

Electronic goodies - Epson HC720, monoprice cables, Paradigm cc290(center channel), DSP3100 subwoofer $2255

Next 3-6 months:
Currently, we are using some old furniture in the room. I have my eye out on a 4 seater reclining (leather) HT couch, but will wait a few months before we buy that.... will see what the xmas bills are like. I estimate the couch will cost between $3000-4000cdn. Construction wise I only have to box in the lolly, that'll be about $30 for a sheet of MDF and some leftover paint. I would like to add a 2nd door in the main entrance that leads directly upstairs to the main floor and 2nd floor ( we have a winding stair case, and the stair well goes up to the 2nd floor) The door and hardware if I can find it on sale will be about $100-120. Home depot has solid pine doors for about $70, and I can trim down a 32" door to fit my wonky 31.25" jamb. Sound treatment panels and bass traps for the walls should be about $100-200 for materials (appropriate insulation, framing materials and upholstery)

re: clips
I bought the clips and glue in Mississauga. The glue was about $17+tax/tube, and I believe the clips were about $6-7 each. Google Green glue and Kinetics Isomax clips to find the name of the distributer.

P

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
And don't forget to factor in your cost for a new Blu Ray player and Receiver (I saw the thread you started in the Blu Ray forum hehehe).

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
re: Bluray

The player is under the tree.... my wife went to get the Sony s350 that's on sale for $230 with 3 free movies....

I'm hoping to get a new HDMI rec'r for under $500 on boxing day sales.... (with xmas money)

P

1 - 12 of 12 Posts