Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forums here and elsewhere and can't find a thread to match my problem.

I have a 60E dish and matching quad switch that seemed to require re-alignment once the frost came out of the ground (it's on a 4x4" post). I've attempted to reduce the pixelation (and corresponding sound dropouts) several times now. I have reception on all channels albeit not perfect.

I have validated skew/elev/direction settings a few different ways and used Dishpointer. Wireless webcams and a webcam watcher on my iphone means that I don't have to hump a TV set outside each time. I have swapped the quad switch once with no differences. I have cleaned up any wee bits of corrosion on connectors with my small wirewheel on my dremel tool.

I have the following signals:
ch 276 93, Ecb/No 7.3 dB
ch 299 81, Ecb/No 9.7 dB
ch 712 89, Ecb/No 10.6 dB

I'm a fix-it myself kinda guy, so what do I try next?

thanks all for your help and opinions

·
Registered
292 Posts
would your receiver happen to be a 630pvr?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your ECB and strength numbers actually look relatively good. I recently had to get my dish relocated because of poor signal issues. At that time, when I was experiencing drop outs the ECB tended to be about 2.0 db or less. This was mainly on many of the HD channels between 200 and 299. After Shaw relocated the dish my ECBs are mostly between 8 and 11 with no issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So here's today's update. I've changed nothing since yesterday.

I've been watching 276 most of the day (Natl Geo HD) without any issue at all. However programming on 524 (TV Tropolis E) breaks up frequently, about 3-8 times per minute.

I can't find a listing that shows what channels are on which bird, so it's hard for me to know if I've got only one of two birds properly aligned to the dish. If someone could point me towards such a listing so that I can narrow this down I'd appreciate it.

I think if I had corroded connections as has been suggested, using a wirewheel to clean them up would have corrected it, plus the high signal strength says that my cable/connections are all in good shape, right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks QCK, that makes sense - I have F2 in better alignment than F1R I bet.

Armed with this opinion, I went out into the backyard again (glad it's not on the roof), swapped the LNB for good measure, and fine tuned the elevation, moved the dish a wee bit to the East, and put a slight counter-rotation on the skew.

I now get the following:
ch 299 88, Ecb/No 10.5 dB (.8db gain) Anik F1R ShawDirect SD
ch 712 89, Ecb/No 10.5 dB (no change) Anik F2 TVA SD
but frustratingly I get no discernable difference on the pixelation on F2 channels.

The pixelation is more noticeable on some channels than others, Discovery SD and TVTropolis SD are worse than TVA SD.

The nearest trees are 160' away and 40' in height, and weren't a problem last year when they were in full foliage, so should not be now without leaves.

Any other ideas folks?

·
Registered
292 Posts
check all of your connections from your t.v. to your lnb. do you have only the 1 receiver?.... look real hard at the rg6 for splits and cracks or anywhere water could enter it. ensure there is no splitters hooked in line.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Press and hold the front panel power button on the receiver for 10 seconds and release, receiver will reboot, solves alot of quirky issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So a connector that looks like this is likely a problem then? :)

No splitters in line.

No changes at the receiver end, everything is good there.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Change all the Connectors...

Gents,

I'd change the connectors on both ends of the feed to the 505. Actually I'd change all the connectors. The one shown in the Photo is a bit hard to see, but it looks like an old crimped type.

It that was used outside it would allow moisture to corrode the Shield to Connnector joint. I'm not certain that's all of the problem, but cleaning corrosion off the outside doesn't do anything about where the Coax Shield makes contact with the Connector inside the barrel of the Connector. That's a key point in the circuit too.

I'm fond of Aquatight EX6XLWS connectors. Check out our tough install. Here's the part on connectors:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125300&page=10

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input Jim, and Installer.

The reset of the 505 did the trick and the pixelation is no longer an issue. On the upside I now have a firmer appreciation of the amount of fiddling one must do to peak a received signal.

When I took out the wirewheel I got on the inside of the male connector (receiver powered off, naturally) to clean out the threads. I did not clean up the outside of them. Jim it is indeed an older crimped connector, on a chunk of cable I bought from Radio Shack in a pinch. I will be either replacing that section of cable with properly done ends or redoing the ends themselves with ones as you've mentioned shortly for good measure. I don't own a crimper for these connectors and have been putting off purchase of a proper one for a while.

When I moved the dish out into the yard last spring, I ran a cable on top of the grass (with intention to bury it, but never got around to it). That cable had decent connectors on it but got shredded by a guy with a lawnmower that did not see the cable first (argh) and subsequently got replaced with what I have now.

It all gives me a good excuse to get a replacement cable suitable for trenching in place and with better connectors. This working with co-ax at gHz frequencies is a fair departure from the stuff I use for HF frequencies (lmr-400, PL259s) and is a lot more finicky as I've learned, thanks to you all.

·
Registered
292 Posts
glad you got it fixed!!!
crimpers and ends as well as rg6 can be found cheaply on ebay.. or canada satellite specialties.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts