Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1241 - 1260 of 1298 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
This thread is about MIX FM Pirate Radio in Ottawa. Stick to the topic at hand or your post will be removed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If they took him in for threatening suicide...

the standard is a 72 hour evaluation on the psych ward at your local hospital; not sure if it is different for minors. He will not be home for a couple of days.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
It looks like IC dropped the ball on this one, given their slow & tentative response to this situation. Very disturbing how long this young man was allowed to carry on without adult supervision or parental oversight in any way.

Hopefully, the Childrens Aid (among other appropriate agencies) will be in the picture, giving this young person & his parents the help that this family so clearly needs so that this sad situation gets resolved before Jayhaed encounters the real world.

This would be an ideal case study on why licensing is required for operation of a transmitter.

My $000.02...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
IC has definitely dropped the ball on this, but not because of the kid's emotional fitness.

IC should have charged the father and his establishment and hit them with the stiffest possible fine. The kid is secondary and his personal issues are not IC's concern. IC is not responsible for ensuring the child is cared for by his parents.

If the kid requires professional help then that is the Children's Aid Society (or similar agency) responsibility.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have to admit the calls to Ottawa Police and the RCMP were entertaining to hear (how the phone would just be ringing off the hook until some clueless person would pick up and then bounce him around from one department to the next... quite unprofessional).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wonder if they had his number flagged and were bouncing him around on purpose. They did have his number after all his calls to IC.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have to admit the calls to Ottawa Police and the RCMP were entertaining to hear (how the phone would just be ringing off the hook until some clueless person would pick up and then bounce him around from one department to the next... quite unprofessional).
If he was calling a specific officer's phone directly and that person was not working, it's perhaps not surprising that no one answered. All of the officers I heard in the clip treated him in a professional manner.

If you listen to the recordings, he did call the RCMP at a number that answered "security desk", which sounds like the person sitting in the lobby of the building rather than a specific officer. If you don't call the right number, you can't expect the person who answers to be able to help you. :-/

·
Registered
260 Posts
His call to RCMP got bounced only because he called and got the Security Desk right off the bat which in most cases is just as productive as talking to the building's janitor. As for Ottawa Police, there was an announcement that played every few rings explaining during periods of high call volume one had the option of leaving a message which would be returned. It would not be in the police's best interest to ignore any call coming in, even if it's from a number considered flagged as a known or nuisance in any way. Even if a person calls "wolf" 14 times, it could very well be the 15'th time that an actual emergency exists and for which they would be on the hook if it were found out they did not respond appropriately.

·
Registered
16 Posts
IC has definitely dropped the ball on this, but not because of the kid's emotional fitness.
I'm not as convinced IC dropped the ball, at least not completely.

Their first contact in a situation like this would be to send the letter saying "cease and desist" and not "we're busting down the door and taking the transmitter". Unless there is a life-threatening situation, I think this is reasonable. Most people upon receiving a cease-and-desist letter would do just that and thus IC's goal of getting them off the air is achieved.

When he didn't cease and desist after the first letter, they sent the second letter, probably with stronger language in it, but still with no doors being broken down. And the letter did have the desired result. He shut down the transmitter and posted a mea culpa on his website. IC probably reasonably considered the case closed.

When he started up again on Christmas Eve, he was almost certainly (in my mind, anyways) taking advantage of the fact that people at IC were off for a few days because of the statutory holidays overlapping with the weekend. Considering that his starting up his transmitter again after the assurances he provided probably completely caught them off-guard. They probably had to sit down with the department's legal counsel to determine how to proceed and get signoff on things from various levels of management, all while most people are on holidays.

Also, if you're going to do an enforcement action with police in tow, you want to make sure that all other routes have been exhausted first, because raids can go wrong. (Consider how a simple raid by the FBI turned into the fiasco in Waco, Texas a few years ago.)

It sounds like there was one more phone call in January from IC to Saade saying something like "You're leaving us no choice. Turn it off for good or we're showing up with the cops to take everything." And a few days later, they did.

It would be nice to think that there's a small army of spectrum cops running around ready to pounce on rogue transmissions at a moment's notice. (It would certainly be nice to have them in the amateur radio world from time to time.) But small armies cost money and people seem to recoil in horror when they're told they're going to have to pay more if they want the government to increase the level of service.

I imagine that things would have been resolved sooner than they were if this hadn't happened smack in the middle of the Christmas holiday season when most government employees were in the office for three days between Christmas and New Year's because of the way the statutory holidays fell. That probably delayed things by at least a week to ten calendar days.

Oh, and before someone says "yeah, but I bet you work for IC", I don't, though I am a civil servant so I have some insight into how the government works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It looks like Jayhaed made a bunch of recordings a few hours ago on his ustream.tv account. I haven't watched them all but he isn't talking much. He does say something about them not being able "to make him go back if he doesn't want."

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mix-fm

I just watched another clip Jayhaed posted and he claims he is in hiding but then admits he is at the psychiatric ward of a hospital. He is using his iphone to post the clips to ustream.tv. (From the video it looks like it might be a psych ward or home.) He says he will be broadcasting Mix FM from Watertown NY next week. I feel guilty watching this. I don't want to be a voyeur, I am just following the story of his radio station. I feel bad for him and hope he gets the help he needs.

Here is the link to the exact clip:

He is using his iphone to post the clips to ustream.tv.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4112077

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
But small armies cost money and people seem to recoil in horror when they're told they're going to have to pay more if they want the government to increase the level of service.
What is the cost of a bunch of IC employees consulting lawyers and spending weeks on a problem that should have ended in early December?

One cease and desist along with one visit was more than sufficient. He should have been fined the second time he went back on the air. (ie. Dec 5th)

But they didn't. Instead they brushed it off and he went back on the air yet again. Regardless of holidays etc, they took almost a month to go back and close him down

That delay is unacceptable , however, I could almost live with that IF they had charged and fined the father.

A $5,000 fine plus $250 is the penalty for this type of behaviour yet IC chose not to charge a three time offender! The total fine would have been $5,000 plus 40 days at $250 a day. That's $15,000.

That fine would make for a pretty effective deterrent.

I suspect this whole episode has cost taxpayers tens of thousands of dollars with all the time spent on it by IC employees, lawyers etc. That amount would have been drastically less had they charged him after he restarted the first time.

Honestly when did IC became part of the judicial system? It's not up to IC employees to decide what the punishment should, its their job to enforce the law.

Why have laws outlawing this behaviour if we are simply going to ignore them?

·
Registered
363 Posts
well he was for a couple of min,
I guess we should leave him alone. this is his passion, as long as he behaves
properly. let him play some music and go to school to become a dj someday

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where are the parents?

This, sadly, is what (IMO) happens 99.99% of the time when a child is spoiled and "raised" completely without boundaries, parental instruction, or guidance.

But from what little i gleaned from reading papa's comments, it sounds like the attitude is inherited honestly.

If (as many of us believe) the job of a parent is to prepare their children for the real world, then it looks like this guy's have failed miserably - I'm shuddering right now to think how he'll make out once the little prince moves out from under papa's umbrella & encounters the big sharks lurking out there.

Even when parents try to do right, it sometimes doesn't work out (lest i sound preachy, lord knows i've made well more than my share of parental mistakes), but in this lad's case, from listening to the broadcasts, it looks like his didn't even try & now the way he's headed, he'll be euchered right out of the gate.

It's a shame that IC didn't move faster when (as it must have) became clear that they were dealing with an irrational juvenile, but hopefully they'll be on the ball from now on.

If not, should he move his show to Watertown as promised, there's always the FCC...

1241 - 1260 of 1298 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.