Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Maybe someone in Toronto who can receive it without errors can report on whether it is now "crystal clear" rubbish Commodore 64 computer graphics... :)

I've never seen it myself, so I can't comment on "content".

Cameron

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have no idea why whoever runs Star Ray just doesn't put up a website or YouTube channel and cut the power to the transmitter. Seriously why are they still broadcasting, does the CRTC have no teeth or is it a free for all for TV transmitters here in Canada?

Edit: They have a website.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The CRTC is not the only agency involved. My understanding from reading up on this is that he has an amateur radio licence, and Industry Canada has granted him an experimental class licence to transmit - that's the "X" in the call sign "VX9AMK".

My impression is that if he were interfering with other signals, Industry Canada would shut him down in a heartbeat. But as long as he stays within the scope of his technical licence, the CRTC likely considers him below their usual attention radar.

The only other way I can imagine looking at this is the difference between "transmitting" and "broadcasting". He appears to have the authority to "transmit". Broadcasting would seem to be (roughly) "intended for receive only by multiple recipients". But sticking literally to that interpretation would likely catch too many people in the CRTC's net.

There's a good summary, although aimed more at radio at:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf02087.html

Check out the section on "Real Estate Radio". If you stay low enough in power, you don't need the involvement of either the CRTC or IC, yet you would still be "transmitting for receive only to multiple receivers".

Without hard and fast lines between the categories, you end up with operations like Star Ray - neither "allowed" nor "disallowed" on an official level.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
From Yonge/Eglinton, using a CM4228 (original, non-HD) into a Samsung LN32C350 (with no pre-amp) and pointing towards Rochester, getting 4 Bars on Star Ray (RF 22) from my 13th story condo. If I point towards Peterborough I lose the Star Ray signal and pick up from Oshawa a snowy CHEX-TV-2 (RF 22).

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
As mentioned in THIS post, I have nothing coming in on RF12 (CHEX), but RF9 (CFTO) works fine. I saw a blip on RF 7 (WBBZ) but nothing came in. I was able to get RF27 (CIII-27) from Peterborough though and analog CHEX-2 (RF 22) from Oshawa.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
OT: Yep, but you are way more north and east and not being in the city with big buildings makes a difference. I would also need to split the VHF from the UHF signal, would need a good adapter for that.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
My understanding from reading up on this is that he has an amateur radio licence, and Industry Canada has granted him an experimental class licence to transmit - that's the "X" in the call sign "VX9AMK".
An amateur licensed HAM is ONLY allowed to transmit on amateur frequencies.

Star Ray acquired in 1997 an experimental broadcast license VX9AMK, which was a temporary authority from Industry Canada to transmit on UHF channel 15 in Toronto with call sign VX9AMK.

In the year 2000, the temporary authority was revoked the on the grounds that it did not meet the CRTC's LPTV policy.

Star Ray appeared before the CRTC on September 19, 2001,and was ordered to shut the station down by November 15 of that year. In December, the CRTC published a new policy permitting the development of community stations on LPTV allowing Star Ray a loophole to worm through. It's thought to this day that this might be the reason how Star Ray managed to remain on the air, on analog channel 15, without incident.

Now that he's changed to ATSC, digital channel 22, he's no longer operation on the frequency and broadcast format outlined in the VX9AMK license... he's clearly a pirate station now and in total violation of the broadcast act.

Remember that 14 year old kid out in Ottawa a couple of years ago... that ran a 2000 watt pirate FM station out of his dads strip club. That took 3 cease and desist letters from Industry Canada, which went ignored. Ended up being raided by the RCMP / IC to arrest and close him down. All of which took 2 months to unfold.

Having a HAM license will not help him much, it might even make things worse. Once charge under the Radio communications act he'll lose his HAM license too. Having a HAM license is a privilege, and as a HAM you must always maintain yourself in the highest of standards as a HAM operator.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
For anyone needing a refresh on the Ottawa kid HDTV101 is referring to in the previous post, HERE is the Wiki entry on what happened. We had a huge thread here on the site but it was forced to be 'hidden' once lawyers for the defendant sent out a cease letter, although THIS still does exist. For what its worth, the teenager still appears to operate a web stream of the radio station.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
As for the 14 year old kid... he got off lightly. They say the Judge was impressed with his technical abilities... being he was only 14.

Judge Donald Ebbs ruled on April 7, 2011, that the teenager was guilty on three counts of uttering threats and two counts of criminal harassment, as well as the Radio communication Act charge.

At sentencing, the youth was given a conditional discharge, 15 months of probation and 60 hours of community service

Looks like his tower is still there, minus the antennas he had on top of it that were seized by IC. As for the Strip club its location is up for lease, so it looks to be out of business too, and that broken down satellite dish from 1984 looks more then impressive!

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
What is the funding model for the Toronto station? Anyone know? I haven't watched much of it online (I'm well out of range for the signal), and I don't recall seeing any advertising. Digital broadcast equipment can't be cheap...not to mention the production costs, however low budget they appear to be.

Just a technical guy with some money to burn on a hobby?!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
What is the funding model for the Toronto station? Anyone know?
http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/story.cfm?content=186197

He sells air time ($100 per hour, $200 per hour during prime time), mostly to religious groups.

Running a television station, even a pirate one, costs money... He sells advertising time, He also takes in some money by repairing electronics, and sells equipment he’s stockpiled over the years. He accepts donations, and volunteers.

I had to laugh at this one... no one noticed ?

A CRTC spokesperson says the commission is not aware that Star Ray TV is still operating without a licence, and because the CRTC never received a complaint after the cease and decist ruling, no one's followed up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The only problem I have with Star RAy is that there is no audio. They have had a few good movies on but without sound, there is no point in watching them. Also the signal isn't that great, it constantly breaks up.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts