Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would mention how much it costs to import this hot new reciever into Canada for any interested parties
Total after shipping,duties and taxes total $655.28

I ordered from J&R.com had to call in the order as it is not on the web site yet. It was $429.99us plus $75.78us for shipping then duties was $36.56can
it litterally got here OVERNIGHT too! shipped out last night at 4:58pm from New York and I had it in my hands today at 11:03am.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WMA-9 decoding and component vid upconversion

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_209686388,00.html
The main high light is WMA 9 decoding and component video upconversion of all inputs to one single component output!,
but other than that, its a high current mosfet amp with 120watt into all 7 channels, THX certified, automatic room tuning microphone for set up, 48 bit DSP chip, and lots lots more.

The predecesosr for it the vsx-1014tx was and still is considered one of the best valued recievers on the market to date.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no to 4 ohm

It will do between 6 to 16 ohms but not down to 4, However is you have mulitle sets of 4 ohm speakers just wire to get a 8 ohm load.

painter said:
Is it compatible with 4 ohm speakers or just 8ohm?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wmahd video, or instead of mp3's many people are using wma as it does provide better audio qualities not to mention full multichannel audio.

Frogger said:
What source would it decode WMA9 audio from??

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fiber optic or pcm output from your sound card. Same way you get dts and dolby digital out of a htpc

JohnnyG said:
But how do you get a *raw* WMA bitstream into the thing for it to decode?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen an option to output a raw compressed bitstream on any software I've used, though. For example, I use MusicMatch and any song I play with that software will be output as PCM, meaning the computer has already decoded the WMA bitstream.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I remember the pcm and optical output are not decoded, the analog outputs yes but digital outputs are just that digital and therefor undecoded. Just set your digital output to be set as passthru. Same as outputing the dolby digital of dts out of a computer, it gos uncompressed to the reciver in the digital domain, then the reciever processes the stream

JohnnyG said:
I don't think I've ever seen an option to output a raw compressed bitstream on any software I've used, though. For example, I use MusicMatch and any song I play with that software will be output as PCM, meaning the computer has already decoded the WMA bitstream.

·
Registered
153 Posts
But media player decodes and plays wma's? And outputs to your soundcard's optical out. Guess I just don't get the use for it.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
From what I remember the pcm and optical output are not decoded...
That's not correct. I can take the optical output from my computer and connect it up to ANY receiver and it will play. PCM would be a bitstream that's already decoded. A DVD player will output a raw dolby digital or DTS bitstream, but not a raw MP3 bitsteam.

The H/K receivers used to (I think some still do) have the ability to decode MP3, but they required a computer peripheral and software (DAL-150) to get a raw undecoded bitstream into the receiver. I'd just like to know how Pioneer is doing it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ctown6412, do you happen know if they have fixed the bug with the optical and coxial output not working with expressvu and dishnetwork recievers?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will check avsforum to see if they have and answer yet. If I knew someone in town with bell i could test it out but I dont know anyone at the moment that has bell. I have it but thru dvr card not stb.

RyanW said:
ctown6412, do you happen know if they have fixed the bug with the optical and coxial output not working with expressvu and dishnetwork recievers?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
MOved this to Pioneer Forum as its more about the unit than any deals (however, I have left the redirect)

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Pioneer Canada website is now showing this receiver with a MSRP of $699.99, $100 less than the 1014. I wonder how much BB and FS will sell for?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just noticed BEV has released new software for 6100 model receivers that includes a fix to make the digital output "compatable with all home theatre systems. Perhaps the other receiver will also be "fixed" soon.

·
Banned
960 Posts
Shrugs

painter said:
Is it compatible with 4 ohm speakers or just 8ohm?

Hmm how do I know what OHM my front speakers are? I don't have the specs for them. I have a front pair of Energy model number e:XL-25B-1

Thanks

My rear speakers are 8ohm. So these speakers may work with Pioneer receivers?

Hmm nevermind, I manage to find info. my fronts are 8ohm as well.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts