Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a Pioneer SC-27 with Totem speakers about 2 months ago. I finally got around to trying the MCACC set-up. The sound is great during movies but I am getting nothing out of the subwoofer (Storm) when I listen to music through my ipod. Haven't tried with a CD yet. The sub was working fine with the ipod before the auto MCACC. What would have changed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got it, the MCACC set the fronts to LARGE so I had to change the sub setting to PLUS. I've read that's it's better to leave the fronts set to SMALL for better bass representation. Anybody know if there's any truth to that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know how it defines the speakers as "SMALL" or "LARGE". I have a pair of totem sttafs, which are on the smaller end for tower speakers but the SC-27 still defined them as LARGE.

The default crossover frequency in the receiver is 80Hz, is there any benefit to turning that to a lower frequency? The staffs are rated for 39Hz to 22kHz, not sure if that is relevant or not, I'm just trying to piece together info I've read on other forums. I find the sub a little too "boomy" right now. I know there are a few different ways to address that; gain, distance setting & I believe the crossover frequency. What do you recommend? I don't have a lot of options for the physical placement of the sub.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
You should be able to go into the user menu and see the MCACC settings that were chosen for your speakers regarding crossover, etc. If the speakers sound fine, perhaps you could stick with the MCACC settings and simply turn the volume down on the sub if it sounds too boomy.

On my Denon, I have instant access to the "gain" on the various speakers and I turn the volume down on the sub on the AVR, unless listening to a movie. I've also increased the center channel a couple of dB since I find dialogue drowned out on many movies. On many AVRs the individual channel volume setting requires digging down many layers of a menu. I don't know for sure how your AVR is for that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My concern with that is that the sub is too loud sometimes and seems a little underpowered at other times. That's why I didn't want to just turn it down, I'm scared it'll seem non-existent at some points. I'm far from being an expert with AV equipment so I was hoping for some kind of "trick" I guess. Maybe I just didn't get a very good sub? It's 300W but only has one 8" active driver and two 8" passive drivers. I don't know if 12" would have been the way to go. Unfortunately, aesthetics played a big part in the decision (girlfriend). I honestly think it's a half decent little sub and I should be able to tweak it with settings. Or maybe moving it I guess, which I was hoping to avoid. I'll try the gain to start with though.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
the sub is too loud sometimes and seems a little underpowered at other times
Perfectly normal. It totally depends on the material you're watching. Some has significantly more LFE or bass than others. You either need to find a happy medium, or adjust per the programming.

As I said, I usually adjust my sub about 4dB below my Audyssey setting for most material, but then boost it back to the Audyssey setting for most movies - via the AVR.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Hi robinsg,
There is an existing thread on the sc-27, you might like to read that over to see what others have done.
I have front speakers large, the other 5 on small, crossover @ 50 and sub set to Plus. I have a separate remote for the sub amp, so its easy to control sub level, but there is a way to get to sub level to turn it down, its under the audio paramater button on your remote, and its called LFE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts