Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK, so, this afternoon I gave the new BD a bit of a look & listen and an A/B against the 2006 DVD release.

I had the Blu-ray in my OPPO BDP-83 and the DVD in the Sony BDP-6200. I roughly level-matched the two sources with the receiver's volume at -16dB (Blu-ray, DTS-HD MA 5.1) and -10dB (DVD, DD 5.1 (640 kbps)). Audyssey DEQ was on.

I flipped between the two sources on the following tracks:
  • Shine On You Crazy Diamond
  • Take Me Back
  • Another Brick In the Wall (Part 2)
  • Money
  • Run Like Hell
Video: Not much difference, really. (Warning: Some people may be horrified at seeing 4:3-ratio black bars on a Blu-ray release. 😱 😱 😱 )

Audio: Compared to the DVD's audio, the BD's audio sounded slightly more expansive -but- Gilmour's voice / center-channel audio seemed slightly recessed, perhaps as a result of the overall more-expansive sound.

(Re-)Editing: Good work, nothing distracting or disappointing. If anything, I noticed that some of the very wide-angle shots were dropped in favour of tighter shots of the performers. Nice. (y)

Extras: Irrelevant to me.

Conclusion: IMO, if you own the 2006 DVD release the new BD release isn't worth buying unless it's important to you to have:
  • the entire show on one disc; and/or
  • the extras that come with it.
I'll be selling the BD. :)
I might be a potential buyer. Please let me know how much you want for it, shipping to Winnipeg included.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts