Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having a problem from their ping command against www.rogers.com if the packet size is 1024 bytes or higher?

I have the Express (10 Mbps download, 512Kb upload) and am finding that the following command (which uses a default packet size of 32 bytes) works:

ping www.rogers.com

but the following (packet size 1024 bytes) will always lead to the 'Request Timed out' msg:

ping www.rogers.com -l 1024

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
That packet size must be exceeding the MTU of something in your network path. Could be your home router. Why are you concerned?

-Mike

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was having intermittent connectivity issues since about a week ago and have been running the ping command for monitoring purposes, and just for fun I was playing with various packet sizes and made the discovery I mentioned above.
By the way it was a direct connection (no router involved).

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
^^^^
I'm not the one with the problem, however, I tested and can ping with up to 1492 bytes. This added to the 8 byte header comes to the maximum 1500 bytes supported via ethernet. 1493 fails.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
James, I have no explanation as to why our ping against Rogers would have different packet size limits but thanks for the information.

FWIW I can successfully ping other hosts with a larger packet size, eg 4096 bytes works with www.google.ca.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts