Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this up for PS3 the other day, and I freakin' love it (also available for 360, and released last year for PS2, Wii and PSP).

The game features 13 Williams tables, ranging from Jive Time (1970) to Medieval Madness (1997). Some of the tables are "Free Play" unlocked at the start of the game, and others have to be unlocked either by using credits earned playing the other games (100 credits), or by completing challenges for each table.

I've always been a big fan of pinball games, and it was a blast revisiting some tables I haven't played in 20+ years (Pinbot, Taxi, Space Shuttle). My favorites in the bunch would be Medieval Madness, No Good Gophers and Tales of the Arabian Nights (all the newest tables), though I was surprised by how fun some of the older tables were as well. The physics engine is great, and they've duplicated everything from the original tables.

I found the game difficult to track down, and it seems only EB Games/Gamestop are stocking it in Canada (BB and FS had the game on their sites, then took it down, and it wasn't at Amazon.ca either).

If you're a pinball fan then pick this up, it's awesome.

Gord
P.S. Besides being in HD, this version has more tables than the ones released last year.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'll have to look for this, I wonder if you can purchase it from the PS store. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Thanks a ton Gord! LOL, I was just thinking the other day: I wonder if I should ask Gord if there's a new PS3 pinball game out? You won't recall, but I asked you about this more than a year ago; you mentioned some old PS3-compatible titles but I could never find them locally (at EB etc.). I do not game otherwise, and don't keep track of PS3 games coming out. And the stupid PS3 store didn't help much when I wanted to find a pinball game.

Can you mention the price?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wgauci: Nope, not from the PSN, which is too bad. I think if they had released it in the PS store then they would have sold more copies (I doubt this is flying off the shelf - it's a niche title).

jayoldschool: Nope, no High Speed. Here's the list of tables:

Black Knight
Firepower
Funhouse
Gorgar
Pin*Bot
Space Shuttle
Taxi
Whirlwind
Jive Time
Sorcerer
Arabian Nights
Medieval Madness
No Good Gofers

cfraser: There's a pinball game in the PS store now: Zen Pinball. It features 4 tables for $10, and they've since released a Street Fighter II Tribute table as DLC for $2.50 (It's a great table). It's a great pinball game, and "feels" different from the Williams Collection (it's a faster, more 'arcade' experience while Williams Collection is more of a simulation). It also has online play, leaderboards, and lots of tweaks (as many tweaks as you can make to a 'normal' pinball table, though it means your scores won't count online).

Those PS3-compatible games (they're PS1 titles) would be the ProPinball series. ProPinball Timeshock is my favorite, followed by Big Race USA, Fantastic Journey and The Web. I haven't looked for them lately, but you'd probably have to resort to eBay for them these days, they're very old.

The SRP for the game is $40 (approx $3/table).

Gord

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Thanks Gord. I guess I'll get it from amazon.com, price will work out about the same (they can sell it to Canada, apparently can't with all games).

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Hmmm, not sure how they could call it "Hall of Fame" without High Speed and Comet. Those were some of the best pins ever from Williams!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Besides having an IMO useless web site, the local EB Games said they will NOT order games. I suppose that's why the website is how it is: they have what they have, and if it's not in a particular store you can't buy it. Even if one store somewhere has it. These guys have never heard of it for the PS3... Walmart won't stock to request either: even if they carry a line or an item, what's in a particular store is what you can buy, and they stock to local demand. Bummer. I wasted enough time already, amazon is sooo easy... :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nice! I am gonna check this out.. I have always loved Taxi, and would love to buy the real thing one day..

Not sure how much it would cost, and where I would find one though.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ I really liked the Cyclone too. At this point I'm just happy to have any decent PB for the PS3. I think PB is a lot more popular, especially with a certain age group, than Canadian retailers seem to think. I'll hazard a guess that the intersecting demographics of PS3 ownership and like of PB is much greater than for the Wii (this game is easily available for the Wii). Anyway I have my copy ordered!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can't wait any longer. EB games seem to only have the xbox version with PS3 coming. I have both systems. I guess Xbox version it is. i loved pinball and still do! looks like some great re creations.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I never thought I'd play a video pinball game as good as Pinball: The Web, Fantastic Journey, The Big Race and one or two more of that series on the PC but this game is pretty damn close.

My favourites are Whirlwind, Taxi and Funhouse.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Naww, that one is fun, not lame.

I've spent the most time on Medieval Madness and Tales of the Arabian Nights so far, and I like them both. I went through and got all the trophies and unlocked all the tables, and now I'm going and spending some serious time with the tables. I was considering going to play it right now, but I tend to lose a lot of time playing this game, and I want to be able to function tomorrow. It's too easy to say, "Just one more game, just one more" which turns into 8, 9, even 10 more games.

Gord

1 - 20 of 49 Posts