Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

861 - 880 of 897 Posts

·
Banned
63 Posts
Well there's the proof needed. Today the CTV and TSN NFL games look really good. However the Sunday Ticket games look like complete garbage. Full of artifacts and blocking. Glad Bell helps us decide that buying Sunday Ticket isn't required when it looks like that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There hasn't been any NFL on TSN today. I've been watching all afternoon and I don't see blocking / artifacts at all. Currently watching DET/SD on 1505. It does perhaps look a bit softer than some of the networks, but no blocking, no artifacts. What game/channel specifically? Did you try to take a picture of the issue?

·
Banned
63 Posts
MIA/WAS was on TSN2. The KC/HOU game late was on two Sunday Ticket channels. One was a CTV feed which blew away the Sunday Ticket clean feed in quality.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ahh I don't get TSN2.. no wonder MIA/WASH wasn't on Sunday Ticket. That's silly. DET/SD looks good pq wise. CIN/OAK seems ok as well. I won't be purchasing either, but nice to have a preview weekend to start the season.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Each year of the NFL Sunday Ticket preview I always noticed that the picture is sub standard and the audio is not 5.1. I guess we are lucky that between CTV & TSN we do get a good variety of games to choose from each Sunday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bell Satellite Picture Quality Discussions.

Well it appears Bell has changed the bandwidth for their HD sports channels. Watching hockey games their are many times the picture quality looks very blurry/fuzzy. Its not my TV, the picture can not update fast enough to show the fast moving scenes, it almost makes you sick.

Does anyone else notice this when watching TSN and Sportsnet hockey games?

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Bell sends all their (non-on-demand) channels as 720P signals. Make sure you've selected 720P on your STB(s) to minimize the conversion steps and to let the TV handle the upconversion, which it usually does better. See the following FAQs.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76129-faq-hdtv-formats.html

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/87543-faq-upconversion.html

If possible, do a basic optimization on the TV since no TVs are properly optimized out of the box and usually have sharpness set too high and other settings not correct.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-...76161-faq-what-you-need-do-your-new-hdtv.html

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
@Kashwak: Sorry but I don't see what you see. I watch TSN 1-5 and the Sportsnets on Bell TV almost daily. If anything I'd say that the overall quality of the signal on these channels has increased not decreased. The football field whether grass or artificial turf no longer seems to be moving and the detail on hockey games such as smears and scratches on the ice and smudges and marks on the boards now are much clearer than they were when I joined Bell eleven years ago.

I do agree with 57 by the way. Let your TV do the upscaling. Unless you've got a very early HDTV, your set will likely do a better job than any Bell box.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Gotta agree with Kashwak, I've also noticed a decrease in picture quality past couple of months with expressvu, of course they won't tell you this, they'll only tell you the good stuff they give you, which is ?????? It's very close to standard definition quality. May have to start looking at an alternative television provider. Not bashing, just giving mho.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I watched two episodes of Nashville recorded from the W network last night, it was like looking at the picture through gauze.
It's amazing how when the commercials come on the picture quality is vastly improved.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
If the commercials are clear, then it's not Bell that's the issue. W network is often quite "warm looking" (almost orange). This is "director's intent" for many women's shows (soft and warm). Same holds for the blue look on much technical programming for men. See the last link in post 2 and the following:

Why you should optimize your Home Theatre - Digital Home : Digital Home

I believe Bell also uses VBR (variable bitrate), so some less-watched channels, or those with little motion, like news, will receive less bandwidth, while sports programmes or premium channels with movies that have lots of movement will typically receive more bandwidth.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nashville was definitely not warm looking or orangey, it was almost bleached looking.

I noticed the quality of the picture had changed when it first moved to the W Network.
I don't think it has anything to do with the optimization of my home theatre. I don't watch too many different channels but the ones I do watch are fine.
From memory, I think last year's Season 1 of The Good Fight's episode picture wasn't quite the same as the previews for it.
Those are the only two series I watch on that channel.
Nashville is in its last season, once Season 2 of The Good Fight is finished I will likely drop the channel.

Oops, just realized Outlander is on that channel too.

·
Registered
432 Posts
picture quality reduced on some (HD) Bell satellite channels?

Has anybody else noticed that the picture quality on some Bell satellite TV channels has gotten worse, recently?

It's subtle, but I've noticed rougher edges on graphics (jaggies) and other motion artifacts that never used to be visible, almost as if Bell has ratcheted up the compression at the expense of picture quality. The deterioration is universal; doesn't matter what's airing or when... it affects all program material, commercials, everything.

I'm referring to ordinary HD channels, not pay-per-view or anything premium. Suspiciously, most of the Bell-owned channels look just fine, and it's the others that seem to have gotten fuzzier with weaker colours. There's no apparent pattern to the source of the softening images other than Bell trying to squeeze their distribution compression ratios even further.

My household has been a subscriber for seventeen years, and has multiple HD receivers (6141, 9241, & 9242) connected to multiple respective TVs (both LCD & plasma) for the past seven years, so I'm quite familiar with the usual amount of compression applied to Bell's signals, and something has definitely changed for the worse.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yep , I noticed this as well in the past week or two. Sportsnet looked especially bad several nights in a row. I was not looking for a pattern but now I will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Funny. I haven't noticed any deterioration in the picture on Sportsnet. In fact, a few nights ago I felt that it was better than usual. Most of Bell's problem have gone away in the last couple of years. Perhaps the real problem lies elsewhere?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wow, the resurrection of an old thread on which I spent a lot of time many years ago.
I am a reasonably critical picture quality observer and I haven't noticed any visible deterioration in the past few years, watching a variety of channels - broadcast networks, specialty, sports, movies, etc.
Way back then I did a comparison of a live golf program on bell vs OTA (Over The Air) and although the OTA was sharper than Bell, it was not disturbingly so.
These latest comments have peaked my interest and I will do another comparison sometime.

I also watched Nashville and feel it was the "look" the director wanted.
I watched a lot of tennis on TSN this past week, where any edge effects would be obvious on the court lines, and didn't notice anything.
As I switch from one channel to another I haven't noticed much difference, but I will pay a little more attention now.

·
Registered
432 Posts
What I'm seeing is fine degradation, but it's insidious by nature: a slow reduction in what's acceptable, so most Bell customers will put up with it, and keep paying. Only started bothering me during the last few weeks or maybe a month.

The apparent macroblocking effect seems more pronounced on graphics superimposed over motion, or near motion. Look carefully at the intermittent "choppiness" of graphics on CBC News Network channel 1564, compared to, say, CP24 channel 1566. At its worst, some letters in graphics on CBC start exhibiting "ringing artifacts" and it's easy to spot unsmooth edges. This is also observed on regional CBC channels (say, channel 1010, 1050, etc.) and, say, Breakfast Television on Citytv channel 1053. Some scenes on Discovery channel 1602, and History channel 1605 look downright awful.

I use OTA as well, and often switch between it and Bell satellite. Obviously, the two can't be critically compared side-by-side, because a BDU signal will always suffer from compression artifacts. But is this newly-observed lower picture quality just sloppiness on Bell's part, or is it an intentional adjustment to compensate for their chronic lack of transponder space?

If I've begun to notice it on my "small" 40-inch set, and a 50-inch plasma, then I can't imagine how bad it must look on the average screen twice as large.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awful video quality

I have also notice bad video quality lately. When you watch sports channel with a score ticker you can easily see that it's worse than ever. What's happening bell?

861 - 880 of 897 Posts