Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

841 - 860 of 897 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
The sd channels look perfectly fine on my 32 inch tube regular tv. It is a Toshiba about 5 years old and with a 3100 hooked to it. I've seen a lot of setups with sd receivers hooked to flat screens that look horrid over 32 inches. Until bell goes 100 percent... hd I will stick with my set up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
james, yes it is because today's tv's destroy an sd signal trying to up covert it, without all the facts it is impossible to blame Bell, the original station, compression or anything else.

·
Registered
52 Posts
frenchhomer, watch channel 209 for a few minutes and let us know whether you see any difference on that particular channel. In particular I only watch CTV Morning Live but in theory it should be as bad during any show.

CP3Bell, you are totally missing the point. We can blame Bell because they made CTV2O much worse suddenly. I can receive the originating station OTA and the problem is not there. Bell has greatly increased the compression on it. There is no denying the fact.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Maybe Bell just had an issue with their feed from CTV2O... and have now fixed it.

Just because your OTA was perfect, does not mean that Bell's reception was.

·
Registered
380 Posts
625 CMDY is also back to normal it seems. There was a huge over compression problem last week, and it has been noticably addressed as motion no longer blurs into macroblocking like before. I am well aware of what normal SD picture degradation looks like, and while that would be evident on every SD channel, the overcompression I was referring to was only occuring on this one channel, and only started within the past week.

·
Registered
304 Posts
We haven't discussed this topic in a long time.
Bell seems up to its usual practice of showing new channels in optimum quality. The new TSN multiple feeds are very sharp. Tennis today is also on CBS and many times the same match is shown on one of the TSN channels. The TSN picture is very noticeably much sharper than CBS. The same camera angle is shown for long periods and it's very easy to flip back and forth. You can check it yourself this afternoon if you have time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is not a new thing. The American Networks have always had poor picture quality with CBS being the worst followed by NBC, ABC and Fox are better.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
What about A&E? Are is the channel itself and not Bell.Have noticed a lot of glitchiness. Especially when Longmire was on. Was watching a rerun of one of the episodes and it was the same thing.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The same blurry channels on Bell look very sharp with Shaw Cable. It is Bell that over-compresses these channels so they come out blurry.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is it just me or is AMCHD horrible every week during Walking Dead? This week there are weird sound cutouts every minute or so. Last week pixelation issues.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I see no difference in Data being given to them whether in Freeview or not, they appear to have the same variable Mbps either way.

Maybe they just look better because they are FREE.......

·
Registered
175 Posts
NOPE - not free for me - I have the full package of programing & it is very noticeable
as others have clearly posted & commented before in this topic
& we all know the stations can & do vary their broadcast PQ

But once again I don't expect you to agree with anything I post anyway...

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Stations can vary the rates being send, for sure but you will MOT see any difference in PQ unless the particular BDU also changes its' rate.

I stand by what I said, there is no perceivable difference in rates now of a "Free Preview" channel than there was a month ago when it was NOT free.

Bell TV, which is the BDU you seam to enjoy bashing (PQ and Guide Data) use a very complex algorithm when broadcasting TV Programming. It is constantly varying, from second to second, demanding of the Bandwidth Limitations at that precise moment.

For example, record a popular Show at Peak Time, say 9pm. Make a Note before and after as to just how much Recording space it has occupied on your Internal or External Hard Drive.

Next, record that same Show, preferably on the same station but this time at 2am the following morning, compare the difference in 'space' used on the hard drive, with the previous one.

The second one will almost always use more space and be a slightly better PQ, as the requirements for Bandwidth from other shows, Hockey is a prime example, does not exist.

At NO time did the Station send more Data down the pipe, it was the BDU (Bell TV) in this instance that had more Bandwidth available to them so they used it.

When you get to stand in the Bell Control Room and watch all of the above you will realize that your "Rose Tinted" "Free Preview" glasses and just cleaner when watching a Free Preview, or you are watching it "Off Peak".

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well I see Bell is at it again. The picture quality has seemed to take a massive hit in the past week. Bell HD looks horrible on both my tvs. Thought originally something may be wrong with my OLED tv but then went to my other tv and the quality looks even worse. Why cant it ever stay good. Even Canadian networks are looking bad now.

841 - 860 of 897 Posts