Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

821 - 840 of 897 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Nobody else has noticed on down grade in picture quality lately? There is alot of artifacts and noise on any type of motion on certain channels. Global HD (1052) is one of the worst.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I see dozens of TV every day in many different environments and I have not noticed anything dramatically different.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have noticed an increase in episodes of pixelation, artifacts, green blotches, audio blips.

I believe mine were noticed on the CW HD (1XXX) channel which over the last few weeks have also appeared to be being simsubbed via a CHCH channel.

A particular show would be Hart of Dixie.

Also the last episode of The Good Wife recorded from a Global channel was bad too.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Glad it's not just me. Thought it might have been my new tv, but hooked up an old CRT tv last night and saw all the artifacts there too. Mine was during the more recent epsiode of Parenthood recorded on Global, but have been noticing quite a few channels that have been pixelating and artifacts in the last two weeks.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Better Quality Recently?

Just wondering if anyone else thinks that Bell's PQ has improved noticeably recently? I noticed it on the NFL games this past weekend and on HGTV, Food and Discovery in the last 24 hours. Also the recently added CP24 HD is actually quite startling in its clarity. I'm not sure why this is so. Could it be the result of MPEG4 being implemented on some channels or is that still in the future?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hi marb & reidw, I have to agree with you both....just last week I noticed that the PQ had diminished quite a bit from the "norm", it lasted for about two days and then it improved again. This is based on my viewing of HD channels only. The change was really noticeable on the Movie Network.

Paul

·
Registered
957 Posts
I think Bell gives new HD channels higher bitrates for starters. It seems that with every new HD channel they add, the PQ of that channel seems really good, then it degrades within a month or two. I've found recently that the bad macroblocking/artifacts that I was seeing has decreased, but overall the pq seems to have got softer in my opinion, at least on certain channels. Nothing on Bell HD comes remotely close to my HD OTA channels.

·
Registered
649 Posts
+1 mark,
I too have OTA HD being fed to my BEV 9242, so I can record it.....BEV should really take a close look at what real HD is all about. In fact, the OTA that I get is transmitted from the CN tower here in Toronto and also from Buffalo (the 4 major US networks). I can tell you even this OTA, which is still somewhat compressed (many people don't realize this) is so much better than anything from any BDU.
It is a real shame that most people will never realize the potential of there HDTVs (besides perhaps viewing a BD disk)
I must admit though, when BEV first released HD, the PQ was beautiful....too bad demand for more channels and less quality has cost us in terms of PQ.

Paul

·
Registered
312 Posts
HBO PQ?

I hadn't watched anything on HBO in a while but last night I flipped over to HB0 and my god the PQ was absolutely horrible, almost blurry looking.

Can't remember when the last time I had watched anything on there, maybe a couple weeks or so, but thought it was always fairly decent.

Could it be that now with NHL back in action they've cut back on the bandwidth for those channels?

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Picture Quality

Had Bell a couple of years ago (9241); switched to Cogeco (Pace PVR) due to Bell's soft picture. With Bell I had to crank up the contrast level of my tv which made the whole thing look unnatural.
Thinking of going back to Bell for the 9400 PVR. Is the picture quality any better now that all Bell HD is MPEG4?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Picture quality

A couple of days ago the picture quality on channel 209 (CTV2O) dropped significantly. It is obviously being compressed more than before with the image appearing as large blocks whenever the entire picture changes, and if there continues to be movement in the video right after that, it takes a while to recover to a clear picture.

I am not that picky, realizing that it's necessary for Bell to make the most use of its bandwidth, but this is difficult to watch and I think they have crossed the line on picture quality.

If Bell wants to increase compression, why don't they do it on channels like CTV Toronto SD, that are also available in HD?

·
Registered
380 Posts
For the past two days CMDY 625 has been borderline unwatchable during any scene with substantial motion. CMDY west (626) seems to be fine however.

·
Registered
71 Posts
why are we talking about pic quality on sd? in almost all cases it is your tv trying to up convert this junk that gives you a bad pic. The HD quality on bell is far better now that they went mpeg4 and better than most other providers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Believe me, if CTV2O was available in HD, that's what I would be watching. However I am stuck with the SD version because that's all Bell offers. It was okay up until a few weeks ago when Bell turned up the compression on it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's not fair or appropriate to blame the picture quality on being SD, or not MPEG-4. Channels which were of acceptable quality one day, and gone to mush the next are not that way just because they are in SD. Bell probably set the bitrate too low thinking nobody would care. If we start taking that attitude, it becomes an excuse for them to set all SD channels far too low just because they think people will forgive an unacceptable picture just because it isn't HD.

821 - 840 of 897 Posts