Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I need help figuring out what is wrong with the picture on my LED TV. I have a 37" Vizio Smart LED TV (XVT373SV) and a Cogeco Pace HD (DC550D) receiver. They are connected together via HDMI cable

For the most part I don't have any problems with the picture formats when watching TV, however I've noticed that while watching some local newscasts, some words will be cut off from the screen and 7 day weather forecast graphics get chopped off on the ends.

I've emailed the station about this and according to them, there is no problem on their end. I've double checked the picture format settings on both the TV and STB, which both are set to "normal", but words and graphics are still being cut off.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thank you in advance,
Tom

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Two things come to mind. One, the terminal or TV are zooming the image and some sets can be set to over scan. How much is missing?

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Here's the FAQ on stretch modes, perhaps that will help since it also includes a discussion of overscan:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76074

One way to check if you've invoked a stretch mode is to look for the channel logos. On some channels they are "inside" the 4:3 part of the picture while other HD channels have them at the edge of the 16:9 screen. Most channels have logos. If you're missing the 16:9 ones, then you've invoked a stretch mode. If you're missing just a very small bit, then that's overscan - link in the FAQ.

Some SD channels may crop the picture, but you seem to be talking about HD…

Here's a useful post - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for helping out.

@JamesK, I will take a picture during a newscast as Noon to show you just how much is missing.

@57: Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. FWIW, the channels that get cut off are SD channels(I do have HD channels, but don't notice those channels being cut off) and I am able to see the complete channel logos in the lower right of the screen

As I said, I will take that picture of my TV later on to show the cut off points

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Some SD channels crop the HD (16:9) signal on the right and left side in order to send a 4:3 signal for SDTVs. However, most SD channels now letterbox the HD signal, so that there are bars above and below the 16:9 image on SD channels. After the switch to digital OTA in the US a few years back and in Canada also a couple of years ago, SD channels utilize the HD signal and send out "cropped" or "letterboxed" signals which originated on the HD side. Are these SD channels you're watching not available in HD?

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
As I said, I will take that picture of my TV later on to show the cut off points
If possible, also include the letterbox version from the SD channel. This will let us see the entire picture that's supposed to be shown in HD.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds a bit like the problem I had when I setup a new TV with a Cogeco box. Here is something that worked in my case.

TV turned on, Cogeco box turned off. Yes you will have a blank screen. Press the menu button on the Cogeco remote. You should see a white screen with user settings. Under TV type make sure that 16:9 is selected rather than 4:3. Both boxes I got from Cogeco were set to 4:3 and had part of the screen cut off. Very noticeable when watching the Weather Network for example.

Not sure if it matters but 4:3 override is set to off. If your problem is the same as mine this fixed things up for me, if not, don't hesitate to call and bitch to Cogeco for a solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts