Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lent my wife nephew my 5D II and a few L lens for the weekend.

He is now converting from Nikon to Canon and just placed an order for 2 L lens, a 70-200mm F4 IS and a 24-105mm f4 IS and 2x7D body and a few more ef lens. I presume he buying the other 7D for a friend. The dealer I deal with I give permission to sell at my cost which is 5% above dealer cost..

Anyway I have also found that the 50D at 100% pixel view could not compare to the 5D II from my previous tests.

Yes Gordon because of you my left arm could feel the pain for the few mins testing the lens focus, maybe I'm not holding it right?

This was at 70mm and at F2.8 across the street from my front door.

I'm very impressed [email protected]

When I view the [email protected] photo at a 100% crop view of the license plate now I'm blown away. I just gotta start lifing some weights or the lens with my left arm.

The image quality is so high at 100% pixel view, never seen the 50D look so good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Impressive stuff -- had you tried the 70-200 2.8's (IS or Non-IS) versions to compare, out of curiosity? I'm anxious to know whether there was a marked difference in the new 'II' release of the lens. Cheers!

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
d0hboy, I have not tired the first gen F2.8 lens.

My cousin and a pro photographer family friend both has the f2.8 IS but I have not tested it out before.

I currently have the 70-200mm F4 IS and I thought that was sharp with excellent colors and contrast at F4. I think I will be keeping the F4 IS for awhile as I can see I would use it more often on the 5D II as it's half the weight as the 2.8 lens.

This new II, is very impressive. When I was at the store I was thinking in the back of my mind I hope this does not have any focus issues at certain focal length or distance.

I quickly did some test at 4 feet away at all focal length and as you can see across the street at over 80 feet away good at all each end and in between.

I know the 50D need 0 ma on all my lens so if the focus was soft at 0, I think I would be a little disappointed.

·
Registered
520 Posts
...Yes Gordon because of you my left arm could feel the pain for the few mins testing the lens focus, maybe I'm not holding it right?
LOL, I usually hold the tripod mount with the palm of my left hand and find that my fingers can still comfortably operate the zoom ring. Keeping your elbows against your body helps.
...When I view the [email protected] photo at a 100% crop view of the license plate now I'm blown away. I just gotta start lifing some weights or the lens with my left arm.

The image quality is so high at 100% pixel view, never seen the 50D look so good.
Excellent. I've read a few reviews that suggest the f/2.8L II IS is just as sharp or sharper than the f/4L IS which, in turn, was sharper than the f/2.8L IS so it's nice to know that you find it acceptable and the focus bang on.

I've found both the f/4L and f/2.8L IS to have excellent contrast and sharpness. I think you'll find the f/2.8L II IS will blow you away the first time you close focus at 200mm f/2.8 on someone and see the background melt. It will make the weight more bearable.:D

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Gordon, I'm in the neck of your woods. ààRideau Center opps the keyboard in french at the mac store. :p

Cant find the keys. Drove only took 4hr and 15mins.

Debating this weekend what lens to use with the 5D II at the parade the F4 IS or the 2.8 IS II. I know my hand won't appreciate the weight for a all day shoot.

Hopefully when I get back home at the end of the week the 7D back from service and use that with the 5D II.

Brought the 5d II with me to Ottawa, damm I forgot my usb cable and have tons at home and had to buy one retail. :(

Could not transfer my photos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts