Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have both my home phone and my Internet with Bell. I'd like to switch to Vonage for my home phone only and keep my Bell Sympatico internet. As my internet is on the same line as my home phone I assume that if I cancel my home phone, I'll lose my internet connection. What's the best procedure for making this change? Do I call Bell and ask them to change my internet to a dry loop? Should I get that done before canceling the home phone? Want to make sure I do things in the proper order for a smooth switchover - Thanks for any info!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
My understanding is you don't need to contact Bell but my advice is to call your new phone provider. They will require some information such as your existing phone number, your Bell account number and maybe a copy of your most recent Bill.

They should also be able to advise you on how to proceed with Bell.

Also search this forum for dry loop and you'll find what others have done since this has been discussed many times.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Be very careful doing this.

I did and bell dropped the line completely. DSL needs to be on a "wet" line if you have phone as well. If no voice, they need to switch it to a dry line. Call bell for details on the procedure first as they may charge you an activation fee switching to a dry line.

However, be sure you're comfortable with Vonage's 911 service. I unfortunately had to use it and it used their 911 routing service. Which means, if you call 911, you'll be directed to a call centre first, then routed to the nearest 911 centre. My call was dropped twice before I gave up and called on my cell. Vonage was history after that.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
It only goes to the intermediate call centre if your address is not on file and you profile properly update. If you have your address updated in your Vonage service, the transfer is automatic.

I had Vonage for almost 4 years and found the service to be excellent. I switched to VoIP.ms for cost savings but still recommend Vonage.

Having said that Please lets keep this discussion focused on the question at hand and not get off into a tangent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts