Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

This is now really going on my nerves and so far no solution.
My phone doesn't ring always. My daughter's phone doesn't ring often. I call her many times and voip.ms voice will tell me immediately that subscriber is not available. Then I text her and she calls me back from voip.ms line.
Whenever I check the site, phones are always in green CONNECTED.

Both phones are Aastra 480i. She has:
> Teksavvy (Rogers) Internet through cable
> Linksys wired/wireless router

I have:
> DSL Internet from ICA.net (for years, I can't remember if it was ever down)
> Apple Extreme wired/wireless router

Callers I manage to talk to say that my telephone rang for long time and then it was voice mail asking to leave the message. I am sitting by the phone whole day.

Needless to say I contacted voip.ms many times and they always say that their end is all OK and operational.
I am in phase of desperation and might change provider just because of that problem. Everything else is fine.
Any suggestions?? :confused:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Have you tried using a different VOIP server?

I was on Toronto but switched to Chicago as this server has been updated with newer software....also has better ping times from my location.

Cheers

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for suggestion, I switched my phone to Chicago 2 months ago. Found that ping is much lower. My daughter stayed with Toronto server.
Why would choice of server make phone ring or not ring? I get calls but not all.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am getting suggestions that NAT service needs adjusting. I just logged into Airport Extreme router and found following setting:

Enable NAT port mapping protocol

It leads to another screen to enable specific ports. What should I do? Add some kind of UDP range?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like I will be answering my own question.

At suggestion from my Internet provider's tech support I replaced Apple Airport Extreme router with Mikrotik router.

At first glance it was obvious that Mikrotik has tens if not over hundred settings for every possible thing. Much more than Airport. After rebooting of the system and phones things started working. Telephone rang several times and I hope this is end of this problem. If it is I will be buying more of those. It will be proven much better choice for VoIP systems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts