Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Rogers phone died. I'm presently in a family plan with two other phones. My options I'm guessing would be;
1) cancel my phone (cost $220 I believe),
2) find a new phone and throw my simcard in or
3) upgrade my phone (currently it is not a smart phone so no data plan on that line.

I called today as I was curious about the hardware upgrade. I was told you had to sign up for another 3 years and when I mentioned blackberry was quoted a price (this included the 3 year signup) on the rogers website. I told them there was no difference between a regular person signing up or me trying to get "upgraded". I don't see what advantage this supposed upgrade gave me.

So now I think the best bet is to just go with a regular (non data) phone. I only use it for texting and phone calls. I have no idea what the best route would be to look, only that this phone would have to accept my sim card. So if anyone can give me some pointers on what to do it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Could try a used phone. If it was purchased with a credit card, there might be an extended warranty through the card. If you have to pay full price, it might be worthwhile to purchase an unlocked phone. (Check ebay for deals.) IMHO, cell phones purchased under contract should be warrantied for the life of the contract. That's quite a racket for selling new phones to unsuspecting customers.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Rogers has the hardware replacement program, they do offer phones at a reduce cost to all subscribed members. Just tell then you damaged your phone and need to replace it. I got a replacement phone at a reduced cost.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mentioned that my phone had died. If there is such a program, I wonder why the rep didn't tell me about it. There certainly wasn't any "helping out the customer" attitude. This is one reason I am not wanting to lock into any long term contracts anymore.

·
Registered
382 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the hardware replacement program only covers smart phones, not basic handsets.
From what I was told when I had problems with my X10, it covers all phones. The only difference is that normal phones can be exchanged at a Rogers store, while smart phones are handled from a head office location.

There are some limitations such as the phone must be 2.5 yrs old or less to be covered.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
You can probably pick up a relatively cheap Rogers non-smart phone on craigslist. I often see them in the <$50 range.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll browse the classifieds and pick up a used one. Now, any suggestions on something fairly newish with decent quality. I don't do a lot of texting, so that isn't a priority.

I do have an brand new Nokia 3500 which I received from cashing in some Fido dollars when I switched to Rogers a few years ago. I had hoped I could just swap my Rogers sim card in--but it didn't work. I then tried unlocking it, but two places said they were unable--this may because the phone was never activated in the first place? If I could use this one it would solve my problems rather than having to go out and buy another phone.

·
Registered
694 Posts
xscargo has phones also that are very cheap and may be another avenue to look at. Browse there website.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Too bad you're not with telus; I have a few of those kicking around collecting dust that would be yours for cost of shipping.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You should be able to buy a prepaid Rogers phone and just ignore the prepaid plan it comes with. Stick your old Rogers SIM in and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You should be able to buy a prepaid Rogers phone and just ignore the prepaid plan it comes with. Stick your old Rogers SIM in and you should be good to go.
If you want a new phone with a warranty, picking up a prepaid phone is your best option. If you're only using voice and text you can get a phone for less than $100.

You can't go wrong with that Nokia for $90.

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirelessBuyFlow?forwardTo=PhoneThenPlan&productType=normal&N=52+11+4294948623

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good call, the phone looks basic enough for my needs. I finally have some time tomorrow and will check it out, thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts