Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this week, Sportsnet One will show TPC Golf Championship from previous years. Is it a sign of a possible major announcement from Sportsnet One?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I would guess no, but who knows.

In the past, I beleive when TSN and TGC have the same rights (normally just the weekday Canadian Open and Presidents Cup), TSN has requested a TGC blackout, so unless SN1 paid pgatour/TGC a ton of money, I dont see why TGC would allow/want SN1 the Thurs/Fri rights.

Global still has the weekend rights of the rest (TSN for majors minus Augusta), and its a simsub, so I dont think they would sell it to SN1 (although I can see Global not renewing their rights)

I just think its SN buying up extra material instead of the normal poker/darts stuff.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I agree with thegman. TSN seemed very interesting in re-newing their deal for Thursday/Friday a few years ago (especially knowing they had TSN2 coming for overflow), but The Golf Channel and PGA seemed that want to have exclusive North American rights. It was one of the odd times where a channel actually paid for rights to show an event in the US and Canada.

I think Global will renew their package though. Shaw plans to launch a sports channel in the not too distant future, and they seem much more committed to sports than Canwest was. They produced a preshow for The Masters and plan to do the same for The Players, Canadian Open and Tour Championship.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Globals schedule has no pregame listed for next week, which is the Players. Would be nice if we could get domestic coverage of the Canadian again, but I dont see that happening. :(

And I forgot Shaw bought out Global, so you are probably correct in they will keep the rights.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Well there was supposed to be. Maybe something has changed since I last heard in April. I was told before The Masters that Global would do pregames for four events this year, The Masters, Players, Canadian Open and Tour Championship.

The biggest reason why we won't see domestic coverage for the Canadian Open is because the PGA Tour only lets one broadcaster have cameras on course, and CBS insists that they are theirs. In the past, I believe, ESPN just latched onto the TSN/CTV cameras and produced their own coverage with what they were given, much like they do at the Open Championship with BBC.

I don't want to take this thread anymore off topic, but I still believe that the best thing for the Canadian Open would be for it to become a European Tour event that takes place the week before the US Open. It would probably attract many high quality European golfers. And (this is how this ties into this thread), TV rights would be sold separate of other events so CTV/TSN could get rights again and produce their own coverage as the host broadcaster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts