Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone first tell me why Global does not have a HD channel on the Peterborough Cogeco netwok? Second can you provide a complete list of Peterborough HD channels and last but not least when is Cogeco going to add more HD channels and what are they if you know. Last but not least any idea when we will get HD in 1080p and not 740p? Thanks in advance as Cogeco gives you no straight answers over the phone.

·
Registered
438 Posts
1. As for what channels are available, well, the ones you see in the guide ;)
2. When will new ones be available? Only Cogeco knows.
3. 1080p broadcast television is still a fair while away. This isn't just for Cogeco, no providers in Canada or the US have any mainstream 1080p channels. That said, the HD channels you are getting now are 1080i, not 720p. Some of the content airing may only be 720p though.

If you're only getting 720p, make sure your receiver(s) are configured to output in 1080i. Turn the box Off and press Settings/Menu on your remote, then just browse through the settings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I feel your frustration having HD in Peterborough myself. Global isn't offered strictly because of Peterborough not being in an upgraded area, so we only get the bare minimum in terms of HD channels. In Peterborough we get:

701 CTV HD
702 CBC HD Toronto
703 SRC HD
704 CITY HD
712 ABC HD Detroit
713 CBS HD Detroit
714 NBC HD Detroit
715 PBS HD Detroit
716 FOX HD Detroit
730 TSN HD
734 SPORTSNET ONTARIO HD

Then if you subscribe to TMN you get
780 TMN HD
781 HBO HD

And you can subscribe to the premium HD channels for $6/month
770 DISCOVERY WORLD HD
771 HDNET

I've called Cogeco several times trying to get them to tell me when we will get more HD channels and the best answer I have gotten is by sometime in 2011 when all digital transition happens. Basicially they need to upgrade the cable throughout the city and this needs to be approved by the city council, so perhaps bugging them about upgrading our city would help get Cogeco to do it sooner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks both of you for the info.With a new HD box sounds like I am getting some kind of better picture on the HD channels. Will be nice when this mess is straighted outonce and for all. Have a alderman at work (Henry Clark)so will talk to him and my guess he will be totally in the dark as is the rest of us that this needs to be done to get things moving. If some else wants to chime in on the subject in Peterborough please do!!!! -nanccinut

·
Registered
971 Posts
I may be wrong, but I don't think city council has any say in what COGECO does with its infrastructure. Peterborough is not a priority area (unlike Lindsay) so it will be a while before Peterborough joins the 21st century and gets the same programming as others. (In more ways than one, I might add! :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
City council has a say for construction plans and must approve any work to be done. So Cogeco must come up with a plan and bring it to the city and they can either approve or deny it. I talked to a csr and she told me in some cities cases they have brought dozens of different plans to a city's government and been denied and told to make other plans and then come back. It's the same as any work that needs to be done in a city, it all has to go through the proper channels. Unfortunately for us living in the retirement capital of Canada, technological advances are not priority for the majority of the population including the city government.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess some head honcho needs to drive through Lindsay. Not to be mean, but you can drive through it in all of eight minutes. At least my old retirement town takes all of ten minutes to get through it. To me that means we should get priority. To the head Cogeco honcho Ihave always been told that seniors are the ones that are supposed to have the money your company is after.Share the wealth and upgrade Peterborough to 2011 HD status soon please. nanccinut

·
Registered
41 Posts
Noticed I started seeing the regular 0-92 channels duplicated in the 900's. I wonder if this means that Peterborough has become all digital and maybe we will start to see more channels soon?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Noticed I started seeing the regular 0-92 channels duplicated in the 900's. I wonder if this means that Peterborough has become all digital and maybe we will start to see more channels soon?
Perhaps this is a bit off topic but sometime in 2011 all Canadian OTA stations will cease broadcasting in analogue. Does that mean all of COGECO's analogue channels will be gone (0-92) being replaced by the digital 900s? If so that should provide more space for more digital and HD channels. As an added concern, once the changeover takes place next year, unless a person has a late model TV, will customers have to get new STBs? Unlike the U.S. there won't be any gov't subsidy for those with older TVs and have to get new STBs.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I think the city council excuse is a bunch of crap. Cogeco has known for years they need to upgrade Peterborough, I think it's a 550 MHz system. I would venture a guess and say they'll take it all-digital before they bother doing any construction work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Updated channels

I also noticed the duplication of the analog channels to 900+. In the last few days, the picture quality on the 2-60+ channels seems to have improved greatly, so I wonder if the digital conversion has begun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes... the channels in the 2-97 range are now digital (confirm by hitting Power-Select.. then Current Channel Status) you'll see the channel your on is Digital.. repeat with a 900 channel on.. you should/will see it says Analogue.

Kawa

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had a yellow notice stuck in my door today from Cogeco stating within the next 2-3 weeks they will be upgrading our cogeco cable system. Could this be we'll finally be seeing the full HD lineup in Peterborough!?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Had a yellow notice stuck in my door today from Cogeco stating within the next 2-3 weeks they will be upgrading our cogeco cable system. Could this be we'll finally be seeing the full HD lineup in Peterborough!?
Keep us posted as to any improvements in channel offerings, particularly HD. I would be go back to COGECO just for the Super Sports Pak provided there are more HD offerings and a good picture.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Anyone with an update on the HD situation in Peterborough?

I talked to customer service last week after receiving a Shaw flyer in the mail that offerred no less than 76 potential HD channels and 36 standard. Beats the hell out of the 13 (standard) we get with Cogeco.

After complaining and asking for a contact that I could discuss the situation with, and getting nowhere, I was informed that Cogeco has done a great job in Kingston, Belleville and other points east and they are getting the full HD line-up now. Great to hear, let me tell you.....

Anyway, after getting a discount on the HD box, I hung up none too satisfied.

Anyone hear any rumours about the upgrade?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Today in the mail from Cogeco was a letter stating that before April 1 you need to let Cogeco know if you need any digital adapters and April 19 Analogue value pak service will no longer be available without the adapter. And the best news is that May 17 we will get the full hd lineup.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts